Tiger X install problems,anyone? Comments?

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
Well I tried to install Norton AntiVirus 9.0 and had to call them they had me on hold for 10/15 figgin minutes just to tell it's not compatible to tiger yet..... Is there any software out there thats compatible yet,anyone know?

K

Kokopelli

Norton has a bad reputation with the Mac crowd from what I have seen so you might be cautious. I have never used it personally though.

The printer setup for my office printers were invalid. I needed to adjust both my LaserJet 5SI to use Postscript instead of GimpPrint in order to work. Not a major issue except that no error message would come up. I had to have the print spool open to see the error message (which immediately closed the spool).

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
I think I'm being swayed away from it. Have firewall anyway so just a waste of$

P

Papadelta

I walked into an Apple store asking about my printer drivers and they said to uninstal the current ones and install them again from the disks. I said I didn't have the disks handy and they said download it from the web onto a disk and then install it from the disk.

I guess I'll try it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D
iNAP said:
I found the problem it was using the wrong startup disk, just had to select Mac OS X, 10.4 on the volume "iMac G5 HD" phew!
Now it reads correctly
233.64GB, 218.7GBfree . My,My worried over nothing ;)

iNap, could you possibly be a little more detailed? i'm having the same problem. thanks :black:

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
Make your font smaller on your desktop icons Mine was set at 12 I believe I brought it down to 8 0r 9 and it works. I wish I could explain better than that, I needed Apples help and I really didn't write the steps down. We tried so many things that I have to many in my head to remember the sequence of getting to the window to change the desktop font size, hopefully someone can get you there, good luck!
btw let me know if it helps ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Emac 1 Ghz G4, 80 Gigs, 256 Ram
Smmooottthh upgrade!! Not a problem at all. The only thing that I noticed was that my emac ran very slow while loading to the desktop, but once loaded to the desktop, it is very quick. Nice job apple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Papadelta said:
I did a simple upgrade and everything seemed to load fine. However, I could not print to my wife's OfficeJet 6110. When I try to print, it stops after a few seconds and says "printing stopped". I tried downloading the latrest drivers to no avail.

I'm also haveing a problem syncing to my iMate (pocketpc) with PocketMac.

Other than that it seems to run faster and it certainly feels nicer with all the new gadgets.

If I can get some help on the printer and i-Mate sync I'll be happy as a puppy. I love it.

Looks as if you will have to wait for an update for i mate :-(
http://www.macintouch.com/tigerreview/incompatibility.html
I'd make sure that the old printer drivers were uninstalled first then try the new ones again. Fingers crossed.

I have noticed that some have been able to fix odd problems with updated software by pulling the old icons off the dock and dragging new ones down from finder. It seems as if the dock alias's can link to the older version at times. Can't hurt anyway :)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Is it me or does the white text seem a little too bold? Like when you highlight a song in iTunes or on this forum. Look at the red bar with the white text placed on it, doesn't it look a little too bold? I haven't used Safari in a long time, so maybe I forgot about that. But what about iTunes?

Never mind: This seems intentional.

M

mrme

ok i've posted about my airport express problems in the other post but i have another.

mail won't open in hidden mode on start-up. all my other apps can. (yes i have ticked that "hide" checkbox in accounts)

there are a few more very minor probs that aren't worth mentioning

overall Tiger isn't that impressive

P

Papadelta

torchy said:
Looks as if you will have to wait for an update for i mate :-(
http://www.macintouch.com/tigerreview/incompatibility.html
I'd make sure that the old printer drivers were uninstalled first then try the new ones again. Fingers crossed.

I have noticed that some have been able to fix odd problems with updated software by pulling the old icons off the dock and dragging new ones down from finder. It seems as if the dock alias's can link to the older version at times. Can't hurt anyway :)

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and no joy. I guess I will have to find a new printer that has upgraded drivers. Or wait till HP updates them. Does everybody else here with Tiger have no problems? Or is this endemic?

H

HST_Gonzo

My HP Officejet 5510 has the exact same issue, I tried getting what I thought was an update off the HP website but it said 'file not found' , I sent an email and they said a tech would get back to me 'NEXT BUSINESS DAY'

P

Papadelta

HST_Gonzo said:
My HP Officejet 5510 has the exact same issue, I tried getting what I thought was an update off the HP website but it said 'file not found' , I sent an email and they said a tech would get back to me 'NEXT BUSINESS DAY'

This is what they sent back to me, and it worked. However, I did not install the latest driver update. When I did, I had problems, so I totally removed the drivers as they tell you below and reinstalled it from a CD. I downloaded the drivers to the desktop and then burned them into a CD, and made the install from the CD. It worked fine.

Good luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please retain this line in all replies: <ID:713016-805813115>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Peter,

Thank you for contacting HP Customer Care.

We understand from your e-mail that the Officejet 6110 will not print since updating the operating system (OS) to 10.4.

Since the Macintosh computer was updated to operating system (OS) 10.4, we need to follow the step below to delete the aio software folder and reinstall using the downloaded driver.

1. Double-click the Macintosh Hard Drive icon on the desktop (by default labeled as Macintosh HD).
2. Double-click on the Library folder.
3. Double-click on the Printers folder.
4. Double-click on the hp folder.
5. Move the aio folder to the Trash.

We will need to uninstall the Hp software.

1. Double-click the Macintosh Hard Drive icon on the desktop (by default labeled as Macintosh HD).
2. Double-click the Applications folder.
3. Double-click the HP or Hewlett-Packard folder.
4. Double-click the HP AiO Uninstaller application file.
5. Enter your system password or pass phrase when prompted.
6. Select the option to uninstall Selected Products. Choose Officejet 6100 series and click on the Next button.
7. Uncheck the box beside Readiris and Memories Disk if present. Click Uninstall.
8. Click on Quit in the next window.

We recommend running Disk Utility to repair and verify disk permissions. Over time, the file and folder permissions may become altered. Sometimes these changes may cause other programs not to have access to other files or folders throughout the system; this causes privilege or permission errors. Running Disk Utility on a regular basis will correct these kinds of errors. To run Disk Utility, complete these steps:

1. Run Disk Utility:
a. Double-click the hard drive (by default labeled Macintosh HD).
b. Double-click Applications.
c. Double-click Utilities.
d. Double-click Disk Utility.
2. Select the First Aid tab.
3. Select the Macintosh HD from the left hand column.
4. Click Repair Disk Permissions.
5. Reboot computer.

Please download the version 6.3.4 for the Officejet 6110 as instructed below.

1. Open a web browser.
2. In the Address bar, type 'www.hp.com' and press Enter or Return on the keyboard.
3. Click on Driver Downloads.
4. Input the Officejet 6110 in for product box and click on the arrows at the end of this box.
5. Choose your product from the list by clicking on the link.
6. Choose the Mac OS X.
7. Click on the Macintosh Officejet software/driver. (Version 6.3.4)
8. On the bottom on the next page click on Download Now.

A change within the Safari program must be made before our driver can be downloaded. Please follow the instructions in the URL (HP All-in-One Products - Mac OS X: Driver Download Has Decoding Failure When Using Safari Browser) below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00064290

NOTE: It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL, or any following URLs, into the web address bar of an Internet browser.

Now to reinstall the Officejet 6110 driver from the CD, please continue with these steps:

1. Double-click the 6100_634_EN.smi. This will open a new window or icon on the desktop. Within this window, you should see the HP All-in-One Installer icon.
2. Double-click the HP All-in-One installer icon to begin the installation. You may have to enter your system password or pass phrase to continue.
3. Click Accept if you consent to the license agreement.
4. Make sure all other applications are no running.
5. Once the HP All-in-One installer has copied all the necessary files to the Macintosh system, the Setup Assistant should begin automatically.
6. Select Letter as the default paper size and click Continue.
7. Click Next from Page 1 of the Setup Assistant. The device should now be detected on Page 2
8. Click next and continue with the Setup Assistant answering the questions accordingly.
9. At the end of the Setup Assistant click on the Done button.

We have added an URL (Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger and HP All-in-One devices), which contains information adding the printer to the Printer List in the OS 10.4.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00366083&lang=en&cc=us

If your issue is still not satisfactorily resolved, please respond to this e-mail and include the results of the above troubleshooting, so we can better resolve this issue.

Once again, thank you for contacting HP Customer Care.

P

Papadelta

Airport issues

The only problem that I seem to not have resolved is the Airport issue.

The wireless reception has deteriorated a lot. I am 6' from the wireless hub and I occasionally get a message "out of range" just before I lose the connection. I normally have 2 bars on the little fan that shows the signal strength. This fluctuates from 4 bars to one bar without moving the laptop. My wife's laptop, an older G4 runnig Panther has all the bars on her fan showing full strength and she's next to me. This did not happen before I installed Tiger.

Anybody have this happen to them? Any fixes out there?

Thanks

S

speziak

HP 6100 Series and Tiger Problems

Yep, was a perplexing problem for me too. The main thing is to make sure that you have done the un-installation correctly. Also, like you mentioned, you must avoid that instinct to install the update. This update was issued due to a blurry problem with scans in Panther and for some reason this is not an issue in Tiger. So, remember, install the large file and don't dload or install the small file.

Finally, after weeks of unreliable response from my 6110 it is finally working.

Thanks for your help.

Speziak

Please retain this line in all replies: <ID:713016-805813115>

Hello Peter,

Thank you for contacting HP Customer Care.

We understand from your e-mail that the Officejet 6110 will not print since updating the operating system (OS) to 10.4.

Since the Macintosh computer was updated to operating system (OS) 10.4, we need to follow the step below to delete the aio software folder and reinstall using the downloaded driver.

2. Double-click on the Library folder.
3. Double-click on the Printers folder.
4. Double-click on the hp folder.
5. Move the aio folder to the Trash.

We will need to uninstall the Hp software.

2. Double-click the Applications folder.
3. Double-click the HP or Hewlett-Packard folder.
4. Double-click the HP AiO Uninstaller application file.
5. Enter your system password or pass phrase when prompted.
6. Select the option to uninstall Selected Products. Choose Officejet 6100 series and click on the Next button.
7. Uncheck the box beside Readiris and Memories Disk if present. Click Uninstall.
8. Click on Quit in the next window.

We recommend running Disk Utility to repair and verify disk permissions. Over time, the file and folder permissions may become altered. Sometimes these changes may cause other programs not to have access to other files or folders throughout the system; this causes privilege or permission errors. Running Disk Utility on a regular basis will correct these kinds of errors. To run Disk Utility, complete these steps:

1. Run Disk Utility:
a. Double-click the hard drive (by default labeled Macintosh HD).
b. Double-click Applications.
c. Double-click Utilities.
d. Double-click Disk Utility.
2. Select the First Aid tab.
3. Select the Macintosh HD from the left hand column.
4. Click Repair Disk Permissions.
5. Reboot computer.

Please download the version 6.3.4 for the Officejet 6110 as instructed below.

1. Open a web browser.
2. In the Address bar, type 'www.hp.com' and press Enter or Return on the keyboard.
3. Click on Driver Downloads.
4. Input the Officejet 6110 in for product box and click on the arrows at the end of this box.
5. Choose your product from the list by clicking on the link.
6. Choose the Mac OS X.
7. Click on the Macintosh Officejet software/driver. (Version 6.3.4)
8. On the bottom on the next page click on Download Now.

A change within the Safari program must be made before our driver can be downloaded. Please follow the instructions in the URL (HP All-in-One Products - Mac OS X: Driver Download Has Decoding Failure When Using Safari Browser) below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00064290

NOTE: It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL, or any following URLs, into the web address bar of an Internet browser.

Now to reinstall the Officejet 6110 driver from the CD, please continue with these steps:

1. Double-click the 6100_634_EN.smi. This will open a new window or icon on the desktop. Within this window, you should see the HP All-in-One Installer icon.
2. Double-click the HP All-in-One installer icon to begin the installation. You may have to enter your system password or pass phrase to continue.
3. Click Accept if you consent to the license agreement.
4. Make sure all other applications are no running.
5. Once the HP All-in-One installer has copied all the necessary files to the Macintosh system, the Setup Assistant should begin automatically.
6. Select Letter as the default paper size and click Continue.
7. Click Next from Page 1 of the Setup Assistant. The device should now be detected on Page 2
8. Click next and continue with the Setup Assistant answering the questions accordingly.
9. At the end of the Setup Assistant click on the Done button.

We have added an URL (Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger and HP All-in-One devices), which contains information adding the printer to the Printer List in the OS 10.4.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00366083&lang=en&cc=us

If your issue is still not satisfactorily resolved, please respond to this e-mail and include the results of the above troubleshooting, so we can better resolve this issue.

Once again, thank you for contacting HP Customer Care.[/QUOTE]

P

Papadelta

printer issues again

I'm back with the same problem but another printer.

I have an HP 3500 color laserjet printer that I bought pre Tiger days. It worked fine on Panther. I tried using it after going to Tiger but as soon as it starts to spool or whatever it stops. It says "printing stopped". This used to happen with other printers (an officejet and a deskjet) after I upgraded to Tiger, and the solution was to remove the old drivers and install the new drivers clean. The problem I have, is that I don't know where the old drivers for the 3500 are. I know they are in the library folders, but in the Library/Printers/HP folder there are another 10-12 folders. I do not want to delete the wrong folders and they are not labeled in any way that I can recognize.

I asked HP support for help, as I did in the last time when they sent precise instructions that worked perfectly, and this time they just answered "just remove the old drivers and reinstall". Easy for them to say. I don't know where they are.

Does anybody know where I can find all the old drivers for the 3500 that I should remove?

Thanks,

Papadelta

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
Try using Spotlight, type in what your looking for, Spotlight will tell you right where they are. Click the i icon on each listing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.