• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Smoking voids your Mac Warranty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Oh and I do know what you're referring to.. but I'm not referring to cosmetic damage, simply this.. if one section of your logic board is damaged the warranty is off.. for that. Same with your hard disk drive, etc etc etc.. but if the moisture indicator strips are red.. you're done.

OP
joyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
Same with your hard disk drive, etc etc etc.. but if the moisture indicator strips are red.. you're done.

let's have smoke tar stripes then! smoke doesn't come from smoking alone and a mac should have a tolerance just like a TV.

BUT we are going off point here..... the article says Apple refused to work on smoke infected Macs because they are hazardous to employee health!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
BUT we are going off point here..... the article says Apple refused to work on smoke infected Macs because they are hazardous to employee health!

You're right, it did veer off from that original crazy point.

Still, I don't believe it really happened and if it had I would ask to see that procedure in writing along with the warning in my owner's manual that says smoking is not allowed around this computer!

EDIT: In re-reading the article it actually covers two possibilities. First, the "bio-hazard" involved in working on a contaminated computer which is ridiculous. But, secondly, refusal to honor the warranty due to damage caused to the optical drive and the hard drive by tar.

BTW, it's interesting to note that the response from Apple about the "bio-hazard" wasn't that they have such a policy but that they wouldn't require a tech to work on it if he felt it was contaminated. That is clearly a liability concern.

If there is any truth to these stories it would be interesting to see the pictures of the inside of that MBP!

Reaction score
Smoking is downright disgusting. I bought an iMac off of craigslist from a smoker and even after cleaning it thouroughly, it still stunk like cigarettes. Good for Apple to deny smokers their warranty for
coating their Mac in a layer of nasty tar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Smoking is downright disgusting. I bought an iMac off of craigslist from a smoker and even after cleaning it thouroughly, it still stunk like cigarettes. Good for Apple to deny smokers their warranty for

That's certainly open minded of you...
image005.gif

Reaction score

Wow. Do you work for the government? ;D

Reaction score
No I don't work for the government. I'm sure the govt. wants you to smoke - they make a killing off of the taxes. Cigarettes are utterly disgusting - they make your breath stink, your clothes stink, your teeth and hands yellow, and ruins everything they have time to cover in a layer or carcinogenic tar, including a Mac. Every time I see people standing outside smoking, all I can think is, "Idiots." Do what you want with your life but remember two things: keep that stuff away from me, and don't complain when your warranty is void because you coated your Mac in nasty, stinky tar. Or better yet: stop smoking and live a longer, healthier life. It's your choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I don't work for the government. I'm sure the govt. wants you to smoke - they make a killing off of the taxes. Cigarettes are utterly disgusting - they make your breath stink, your clothes stink, your teeth and hands yellow, and ruins everything they have time to cover in a layer or carcinogenic tar, including a Mac. Every time I see people standing outside smoking, all I can think is, "Idiots." Do what you want with your life but remember two things: keep that stuff away from me, and don't complain when your warranty is void because you coated your Mac in nasty, stinky tar. Or better yet: stop smoking and live a longer, healthier life. It's your choice.

So it's your mission to tell others what to do? You have the right to tell others what to do? If someone chooses to smoke, it's their choice. I see no issues with people having to smoke outside and not in public faculties and offices, it makes it more pleasant for the rest of us. You can dislike smokers and smoking that's fine, but don't seek to force your views or will on others. Your extreme language, presumably it was worse before it was edited, displays not only a lack of tolerance but also a lack of maturity on your part.

For the record, no, I don't smoke.

Reaction score
Cigarettes are utterly disgusting - they make your breath stink, your clothes stink, your teeth and hands yellow, and ruins everything they have time to cover in a layer or carcinogenic tar, including a Mac. Every time I see people standing outside smoking, all I can think is, "Idiots."...keep that stuff away from me, and don't complain when your warranty is void because you coated your Mac in nasty, stinky tar.

I don't smoke cigarettes, but I smoke cigars, and they are a wonderful addition to my life. I especially enjoy smoking in a lounge nearby while using Facebook, Twitterrific, Mail, Mocha VNC and other apps on my iPhone. One day there were no less than six of us in a room of seven that were using iPhones while we smoked our hand rolled cigars. I suppose all of our phones are now carcinogenic? Please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Cigarettes are utterly disgusting - they make your breath stink, your clothes stink, your teeth and hands yellow, and ruins everything they have time to cover in a layer or carcinogenic tar, including a Mac. Every time I see people standing outside smoking, all I can think is, "Idiots." Do what you want with your life but remember two things: keep that stuff away from me, and don't complain when your warranty is void because you coated your Mac in nasty, stinky tar. Or better yet: stop smoking and live a longer, healthier life. It's your choice.

Sick of these goodie two shoes trying there hardest to get rid of the smoker. I would not have posted on this thread apart from the distaste i have for people of your calibre with the low blows to the smokers... Do you drink Alcohol, leave a carbon footprint ??? People could go to town there too ..
Im not in the usual practice of TAKING down people ... So please let it lie.

I don't smoke cigarettes, but I smoke cigars, and they are a wonderful addition to my life. I especially enjoy smoking in a lounge nearby while using Facebook, Twitterrific, Mail, Mocha VNC and other apps on my iPhone. One day there were no less than six of us in a room of seven that were using iPhones while we smoked our hand rolled cigars. I suppose all of our phones are now carcinogenic? Please.
Nice comeback ArrowJ :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I drink water, but Apple will void my warranty if I spill water on my computer. Obviously, this is because Apple is worried that its technicians will drown if exposed to water. Which, of course, is ridiculous, since there's not enough water in there to drown anybody.

Obviously, this is some kind of ploy to discriminate against water drinkers. Why does Apple hate water drinkers?

I think its disgusting that Apple is trying to dictate what I can and cannot imbibe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I'm all for smoking voiding the warranty -- if, like with spilling a drink or something, that's what actually caused the damage in the first place.

But as someone who is allergic to tobacco (and tobacco smoke as well), I still think there might have been room for exaggeration...it could have been that there indeed were enough lingering remnants of cigarette smoke in the computer to cause, say, an allergic tech to have a bad reaction to it -- only to have it unilaterally declared a biohazard.

Reaction score
I drink water, but Apple will void my warranty if I spill water on my computer. Obviously, this is because Apple is worried that its technicians will drown if exposed to water. Which, of course, is ridiculous, since there's not enough water in there to drown anybody.

Obviously, this is some kind of ploy to discriminate against water drinkers. Why does Apple hate water drinkers?

I think its disgusting that Apple is trying to dictate what I can and cannot imbibe.

I don't think the two are stricktly analagous, but this is a good argument! Well done.

Reaction score

I don't think Apple is trying to dictate WHAT you can imbibe, just WHERE you can imbibe it. If you like to take showers all the time and you use your iPhone in the shower, well, chances are that your habit will void the warranty.

And in response to previous rebuttles, I am not telling anybody what they can/cannot or should/shouldn't do. Do whatever the heck you want to do, even if that means smoking cigarettes. Just don't complain when your bad habits destroy parts of your life (i.e. Your mac, your lungs, etc.)

That's certainly open minded of you...
image005.gif

Not too sure what you mean here by my not being "open minded." I was stating my experiences with a Mac that someone constantly smoked around. It was literally covered in a layer of nasty tar. Ok, maybe the word "nasty" is subjective, but I don't think most people would consider cigarette tar "pleasant." I can only imagine that this tar is not very good for a computer system. I'm not a computer technician so I can't say with absolute certainty, but it seems logical.

I didn't mean to come off too offensive in my previous posts (there are some quite defensive smokers out there - can't blame them, they're addicted) so I apologize for anything that offended you. And it's possible that this story is indeed fake, but if it's not, to defend someone for knowingly desecrating their computer and then complaining about it when it isn't covered under the warranty is just plain silly. Anyone who smokes indoors knows that the smoke ruins everything it touches - clothes, papers, etc. To believe that your Mac would be impervious is just being ignorant.
Like I said before, smoke all you want. It's a free country. Heck, smoke crack if that's what you want to do. Just don't complain when the effects of your habits are not what you want. And remember, your lungs don't have a warranty. Be smart and safe people. I mean, come on...you chose Apple, you are already smarter than the rest. ; )
Peace to you all, even the smokers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

And my couter arguement. The Apple techs will not drown. But they there is the chance of electrocution as you all know water and computer parts do not mix. So there is a risk to the Apple workers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't mean to come off too offensive in my previous posts (there are some quite defensive smokers out there - can't blame them, they're addicted) so I apologize for anything that offended you. And it's possible that this story is indeed fake, but if it's not, to defend someone for knowingly desecrating their computer and then complaining about it when it isn't covered under the warranty is just plain silly. Anyone who smokes indoors knows that the smoke ruins everything it touches - clothes, papers, etc. To believe that your Mac would be impervious is just being ignorant.
Like I said before, smoke all you want. It's a free country. Heck, smoke crack if that's what you want to do. Just don't complain when the effects of your habits are not what you want. And remember, your lungs don't have a warranty. Be smart and safe people. I mean, come on...you chose Apple, you are already smarter than the rest. ; )
Peace to you all, even the smokers.

Firstly: You came across very offensive in that post. Desecrate? Really? Desecrate? Come on, it's a computer not a religious icon or a holy machine. I have no real issue with Apple not wanting to cover said machines, I do think they should tell the consumer about it though.

Secondly: After more or less apologizing in the first part of that paragraph you then go on to insult smokers again towards the end. Our lungs don't have a warranty? Really? Thanks for the tip Mr Obvious, I thought my lungs HAD a warranty! Dang, what do I do now, I once breathed some third hand smoke from a camp fire when I was 12, I'm afraid I'll die of cancer. The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Can you be any more patronizing? But hey, you wished peace to us all, even those evil, moronic smokes out there. How thoughtful of you. Really.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.