• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Who rides a bike?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I have a '07 Gary Fisher Cobia 29'er that was sitting in my parents' garage since I bought it. I finally got shoes and cleats and have logged 140 miles since 5/16. Trips are getting longer and it's getting easier to ride as the weight drops off. I went 30 miles on Saturday and have lost nearly 15lbs since I started riding and eating better.

I'm now in the market to pick up a road bike.

Anyone else ride? For for, fitness, commuting, or for everything?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I am by no means really into biking but I recently started biking along the trails in my hometown, partly to increase my physical exercise and partly as a means to unwind after writing all day. If I have my iPod with me, I could bike all day - I just need a good place to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have a '07 Gary Fisher Cobia 29'er that was sitting in my parents' garage since I bought it. I finally got shoes and cleats and have logged 140 miles since 5/16. Trips are getting longer and it's getting easier to ride as the weight drops off. I went 30 miles on Saturday and have lost nearly 15lbs since I started riding and eating better.

I'm now in the market to pick up a road bike.

Anyone else ride? For for, fitness, commuting, or for everything?

I picked up a Trek Soho a year ago for commuting and was pretty satisfied with it, though I've typically leaned to Cannondales. Unfortunately I actually gained 30 pounds while commuting, which really stressed me out and I gave up. I have a couple rather extreme physiological issues that are preventing me from losing weight, though I'm finally making progress towards resolving them. If you are looking for bike suggestions, I can spit out a lot more info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
ooooo I'm jealous! I really want another bike! So I'm stuck with running till I can afford one :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I have an oldide but a goodie. Trek Anelope 820 from the mid 90's. Just got it last summer. I like it because there isn't a lot of "moving parts" so its less that can break/go wrong. It simple and durable.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I picked up a Trek Soho a year ago for commuting and was pretty satisfied with it, though I've typically leaned to Cannondales. Unfortunately I actually gained 30 pounds while commuting, which really stressed me out and I gave up. I have a couple rather extreme physiological issues that are preventing me from losing weight, though I'm finally making progress towards resolving them. If you are looking for bike suggestions, I can spit out a lot more info.

I'm porbably getting a Felt F85.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Last time I got on a bike was about 4 years ago or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Trek 7100 Hybrid. I average close to 20 miles a day.

Love my bike... really helps me cope with the stresses of the day and it is a great way to work out while taking in the pretty sights.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
I really need a new bike. This one kinda sucks :/

As Vansmith said, I really need a place to ride. Hopefully when I go upstate this summer, I can find places to bike. Ahh, I can't wait for summer! :) Only 9 days left until school ends! But finals are coming soon so I might not be in my normal posting habits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I cycle everywhere on my VSF T100:

3354393349F148481021A_m.png

Work, Uni, shopping - this beaut does it all :)
I went with a hub gearing system to avoid all the corrosion issues I had with my previous gears in the snow and rain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2009
don't get paralyzed by too much choice

There are so many good quality bikes out there anymore that you really can't go wrong. Diminishing returns is a big factor when looking at bikes. My fancy $6000 road bike is very light, but I doubt you would notice a big difference in ride or mechanical function compared to a $1500 road bike. Trek, Canondale, Specialized, Giant etc. all make great bikes. Just don't waste time trying to find the ultimate bike or deal. You'll drive yourself nuts with all the choice out there.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
LOL for some reason I thought you guys were talking about motorcycles. >_<" Umm yeah I haven't ridden much since a near death experience on a bike.

My dad ride his motorcycle a lot and got into like a dozen or so accidents. He probably broke every bone in his body and he has stitches all over his arms and legs. It looks gross. >_>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL for some reason I thought you guys were talking about motorcycles. >_<" Umm yeah I haven't ridden much since a near death experience on a bike.

What happened? I'm not sure if I want to know.... :p

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Picking up an '08 Felt F75 in two weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6ghz 15" MacBook Pro early 2008
No BMX riders? I'm into those little bicycles.

Although Taking a break, hit the ground pretty hard, It's no fun.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
What happened? I'm not sure if I want to know.... :p

I wasn't doing anything crazy or anything. I was just riding my bike and I got clipped by a car and lost control of the bike. This place was heavily dense with trees and bushes and had a steep incline, so I was getting trying to dodge trees at the speed of light. I landed in a ditch and I don't know how long I was laying there.

Reaction score
I love to bike, but I use it mainly for recreational use. Sometimes cycle into school when cycling clubs on.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I did 20 miles in an hour and a half on monday and tuesday. I'm supposed to go 40 on Thursday, but the weather has been way too crappy. I can't wait to get the road bike though so I can ride when the roads dry instead of sogging it out through mud three or four days after the rain stops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wasn't doing anything crazy or anything. I was just riding my bike and I got clipped by a car and lost control of the bike. This place was heavily dense with trees and bushes and had a steep incline, so I was getting trying to dodge trees at the speed of light. I landed in a ditch and I don't know how long I was laying there.

Ooh, scary. Any major injuries?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.