Windows users, im crying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Everyone makes mistakes....I definetly wouldn't hold IBM's deathstar series against them. Overall, IBM still makes some kick butt products.

Reaction score
meltbanana314 said:
Windows: Download, Install, Crash, Re-Install, Crash, format Hard Drive, Download Security Updates, Get Firewall, Get Anti-Virus, Re-Download, Install, Crash, Repeat...

Linux: Download, Install, gunzip, tar -xvf, configure, make, (c++ compiler fails sanity check) make again, make install, glibc not found, apt-get install everything, hack, crash, etc...

OS X - Well, you get the idea :mac:

I really dislike people who have to have software totally open-sourced or with the name "Microsoft" attached.

Windows is just like shampoo. You follow the same pattern over and over. Except it's Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

OP
T

Thud

dirtydog said:
I presume you'd concede that IBM's desktop hard drives have a well-deserved reputation for unreliability hence the deskstar's nickname 'deathstar'.

IBM had a bad run with the 75GXP's... and the quality has gone up significantly since Hitachi took that division. Prior to the 75GXP, the Deskstar was one of the most consistently highly regarded drives around.

Just about every other hard drive manufacturer goes through a bad period too.
Back in the mid-90's, it was the Western Digital Click of Death(tm) that seemed to befall so many WD drives between 1 and 2 gigs in size.

Now most drives only have a 1-year warranty, except Hitachi (which has 3 years on all drives) and the WD Raptor with 5 years.

Most of my drives have been IBM... never had one fail. I'm running a Hitachi 160GB SATA drive in my main box right now.

OP
T

Thud

shaun89 said:
Windows is just like shampoo. You follow the same pattern over and over. Except it's Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

That's because Windows makes it so easy for a "knows-just-enough-to-be-dangerous" user to royally mess up their system.

I've had the same install of Windows XP going for over 2 years now, never had a bluescreen (not a single one) and only a couple crashes due to hardware driver issues, easily recovered from. My configuration isn't exactly "standard" either, with two soundcards (3 if you count the one on the motherboard that's disabled in BIOS) and the fact that it's overclocked from 1.8 to 2.4GHz. For 2 years.

No spyware, no viruses, pretty much rock solid, and I use this system a LOT, for games and audio production.

I'm just getting a little tired of looking at Windows XP, since I see it at work all day as well-- which is why I have a mac mini on order to replace my second computer at home. ;)
And the mini is a weeeee bit more portable than my full-tower with eleventy billion MIDI and audio cables running into it, so I can actually carry it places.

OP
R

RC23

lol.. people who say that kind of stuff are such idiots.. i kinda just laugh and go.. why do you think that?

do you realize that os x etc etc etc.. the g4 etc etc etc.
u gotta show them up.

OP
F

falltime

And that's a very nice overclock you have. Is that typical of the prescotts? And you're still air-cooled?

Yup. It's a very nice air-cooling system that beats most water-cooling setups. It's loud though. Very loud. Anyone that's ever owned a Tornado knows what I'm talking about. It sounds like a high-powered vacuum cleaner, and can easily lift a large stack of paper off the ground. Noise doesn't really bother me, but does bother a lot of people, which is why most move to water-cooling at a certain point.

And yes if get the right Pressy you can hit 4.5GHz+ w/ a decent cooling solution. You can request a particular stepping/spec# @ reputable dealers such as PCSupplysource.com..

Heres a good thread to find out exactly what kind of Pressy you should look for:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=338876

Any serious AMD fan will tell you that there isn't much you can buy to compete with a Pressy running @ 4GHz+ unless you throw a FX-53 under a Prommy and give it everything you can but that just isnt practical, and the moment you throw a Pres. under a prommy, the overclocked Athlon excitement ends. Last I heard people have been getting their pressies to 5.5GHz+ under regassed Prommies.

OP
T

Thud

falltime said:
It's loud though. Very loud.

So in other words, it might not be a good fit for my home recording studio. :eek:

I have an older P4 1.8A right now (@ 2.4GHz with a very quiet Zalman 7000 AlCu) and all my case fans running at low speed, so it is the quietest computer I've had so far. Well until the Mini arrives, anyway.

I think my next system would be an Athlon 64 since low noise is as important as performance.... the 3500+ is a great performer and it's still possible to squeeze a bit more out of it without going with the "vacuum cleaner" cooling solution I think.

Reaction score
falltime said:
Any serious AMD fan will tell you that there isn't much you can buy to compete with a Pressy running @ 4GHz+ unless you throw a FX-53 under a Prommy and give it everything you can but that just isnt practical.
I have a Winchester Athlon 64 3200 running at 2.8Ghz air cooled (Zalman 7700-Cu) The processors load temps are 39-42C depending on the day. In addition to running extremely cool, and extremely fast, it would have a PR rating up around 4200+, so it can handle any air cooled pressie, while running cooler and quieter.

Bah...Tornados...those fans are beasts, far too loud for my taste.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
falltime said:
Actually the pressies aren't that bad, Intel almost doubled the pipeline so they could bring up the speed. That is why Pressies cannot compete with Northwoods clock for clock.

I know this is off-topic, but is it really sad that I actually registered the phrase 'pressies' as an Intel P4 processor without having read the previous post first about Prescotts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
falltime said:
Last I heard people have been getting their pressies to 5.5GHz+ under regassed Prommies.

...Shouldn't there be something morally wrong with that much processing power?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
)(* said:
Is this the biggest thread in this forum?

No, just the stupidest. ;)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
I remember asking my friend why he thought windows was better than os x and he said "Cuz they can play games" ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.