questons about Transmission and torrents

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I capped Transmission's d/l rate to 150k, but it's still hovering around 160-170. Why is it ignorning me?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
I capped Transmission's d/l rate to 150k, but it's still hovering around 160-170. Why is it ignorning me?!

Did you read Mr. Plow's suggestion about throttling your UPLOAD speed to 75% of your download speed? Personally, I don't cap download speed. It's the upload that kills the connecting unless you have DSL.

I know with cable, if you upload a lot all the time you, it may warrant a breach of contract.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally, I don't cap download speed. It's the upload that kills the connecting unless you have DSL.

So, I have d/l cap at 0 and u/l cap at 3...still no difference, though. My speeds, as designated by my ISP, are:

d/l: 1355 kb/s
u/l: 349 kb/s

Not the fastest, I know, but I still should be able to torrent and browse at the same time, right? This is the type of problem I used to have when I didn't have my ports forwarded, but I just checked and I do.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using Transmission: selective downloading

So, let's say I want one song out of a 12-track album. I deselect all 12 and check only the one track I want it. It downloads fine, but it brings with it two other tracks (the one before and after it). This has happened in 3 instances. Why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Good question, I don't know why either.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Transmission and browsing

Ports forwarded? Check.
Uploads capped at 25k? Check.
Download rate set to unlimited? Check

...but when I'm downloading -- and not uploading at this particular time -- just one torrent at around 160k, my browsing lags significantly. If the ports are forwarded, shouldn't my browsing not be affected?:[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Whether you have port forwarding set up shouldn't affect your browsing, I don't have port forwarding set up and can download at upwards of 500k/s without having browser lag. Sounds more like a line speed issue - there will be a bottleneck somewhere (perhaps your airport card, modem, other people in the house using the net, max line speed, etc).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What is your connection rated at? If it's relatively slow and the torrent is using up all of your bandwidth, that would explain why your browsing is slow.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is your connection rated at? If it's relatively slow and the torrent is using up all of your bandwidth, that would explain why your browsing is slow.

d/l: 1355 kb/s
u/l: 349 kb/s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (4gig, 250 H.D. 7500 rpm) White Macbook (1 gig, 80HD), I-Pod Touch (16 gig)
easy: transmission just does that. i used it for a bit and hated it. try bits on wheels. transmission is fine if you have a computer with quite a bit of ram. i.e: my MBP has 4 gigs, so i don't lag at all. but on my macbook with 1 gig of ram, i can't use transmission and browse online.

if this isn't the case, what kind of router are you using?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
easy: transmission just does that. i used it for a bit and hated it. try bits on wheels. transmission is fine if you have a computer with quite a bit of ram. i.e: my MBP has 4 gigs, so i don't lag at all. but on my macbook with 1 gig of ram, i can't use transmission and browse online.

if this isn't the case, what kind of router are you using?

2GB RAM on a brand new Linksys router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (4gig, 250 H.D. 7500 rpm) White Macbook (1 gig, 80HD), I-Pod Touch (16 gig)
hmm...you should be able to browse with 2 gig...

try bits-on-wheels. it isn't as pretty, but works better IMO.

what is your signal strength on your router and what is your interference level?

if you don't know, dl AirRadar (free) and it will tell you. also, is your router encrypted? if so, that tanks its speed and range...so that could also be why...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You've set your download rate to unlimited...

That means Transmission will try to use all the bandwidth it can get its hands on - your tubes are full!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^that makes sense... but doesn't that depend on peer's upload speed also? a torrent can only go so fast and most of the time that isn't your 'unlimited' speed. so the rest is left for the browser.

makes sense in my head

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm...you should be able to browse with 2 gig...

try bits-on-wheels. it isn't as pretty, but works better IMO.

what is your signal strength on your router and what is your interference level?

if you don't know, dl AirRadar (free) and it will tell you. also, is your router encrypted? if so, that tanks its speed and range...so that could also be why...

Signal strength: 62%
Signal interference: ?

The router's encrypted, but isn't that better than being unencrypted and risk a leecher bogging down my connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^i suppose so, it's a lose-lose situation really... but the second i encrypted my Airport express i lost about 40% speed and 30%range... so i'm talking from experience.

do you live in an area where you have to worry about leachers? ie: city/ apartment.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Torrrents not saving to NTFS 3-g external drive

Before I start, I should mention the external is not your typical Mac drive. Assisted during setup in this thread, it's an NTFS 3-g. I'm able to read and write to it; however, when downloading a torrent using Transmission to the drive, Transmission stops responding within a matter of seconds and crashes. Could this be linked to the drive being NTFS 3-g? This is the first time I've tried to directly download somethng to the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Before I start, I should mention the external is not your typical Mac drive. Assisted during setup in this thread, it's an NTFS 3-g. I'm able to read and write to it; however, when downloading a torrent using Transmission to the drive, Transmission stops responding within a matter of seconds and crashes. Could this be linked to the drive being NTFS 3-g? This is the first time I've tried to directly download somethng to the drive.

Have you tried using a different torrent application to see if the problem lies with the software or your drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I did a little Googling, and this problem with Transmission and NTFS-3G has been asked about several times. My guess is Transmission is the problem. Try Azureus and see if that makes a difference.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uTorrent Beta for Mac

Has anyone else had problems with this? I can't get anything to download -- the file just sits there:Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.