New Ad Format Coming to Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I don't think anyone ever said that it would be pay or no forum. The paid version would be ad free and possibly some other perks.

Nobody said it would be a pay only forum, I was just talking about if it were.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Nobody said it would be a pay only forum, I was just talking about if it were.

Sure. I just wanted to make it very clear that is not happening. Sometimes people will read into things or take them the wrong way. I just wanted to be sure that people are very aware that there is no intention of ever making this a pay-only forum. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't mind the ads. You can't do anything without seeing them, so they're like white noise to me any more, unless it's something I would actually have an interest in. I go to a forum where there's ads exactly like what will happen here and I personally don't mind it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
The only ad I have ever used was Crucials. But I was going there anyway...

Reaction score
I never saw a ad here, but paid member , yeah right. Most people here aren't old enough to be paperboys, how would they pay?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never saw a ad here, but paid member , yeah right. Most people here aren't old enough to be paperboys, how would they pay?

You clearly don't have a good grasp on our membership demographics then. But thanks for the feedback.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
man, i hate to shake this beehive, but did this get cancelled or just delayed?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score

Uh, MY MOM WOULD PAY, then i'd do chores! lol
Nothing wrong with being young. :D

Anyway, sorry that i'm just jumping in on this now.
I would pay depending on the numbers we are talking about.
It would be great to have no ads, especially for us with dial up.
It's like a facebook page with no applications...it's fast and to the point.
I'd be glad to pay a small fee to be a part of this ROCKIN' place filled with ROCKIN' people.
Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside......

This community is a mothers hug amongst a world of sexual predators and spam.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It appears that the ads are here now. For me it slows down the loading of a page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I'd gladly pay for an ad free site.

GLADLY.

I can't stand the inline ads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
those are definitely annoying and give the forum a cheaper look. If I wanted to buy their product I would have found it on my own. I also don't care "how popular my favorite star is." If you're looking for more money maybe try cycling around ads more. I already have crucial memory!

[rant]As far as the movie theater thing goes....I'm fine with the ads before the movie, its the constant upselling I cant stand. When I say a medium popcorn, I don't want a large for 50¢ more, if I say a medium soda, I don't want a large for 50¢ more, if I wanted to try their "new" candy I would have grabbed it on my own.[/rant]

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
New ad format

How much would it work out to (individually) if the money generated by these new, irritating ads were spread out among 1) all members, 2) us hard core members on a monthly/yearly fee??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
All I've gotta say is thank goodness for Adblock :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Yeah, it slows me down as well. Stupid cheap cable connection...

Though I will not leave because of them, I have a feeling it may turn off new members. It does look cheap.

I like the euphemisms in your first post though, shweb ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
[rant]As far as the movie theater thing goes....I'm fine with the ads before the movie, its the constant upselling I cant stand. When I say a medium popcorn, I don't want a large for 50¢ more, if I say a medium soda, I don't want a large for 50¢ more, if I wanted to try their "new" candy I would have grabbed it on my own.[/rant]

I completely understand and agree with you on that but you shouldn't get upset at the employee for this. They can actually get fired for not upselling. I was told this when I interviewed at a local theater for a summer job a couple years ago. (Didn't take the job, mainly because they didn't pay enough, but also because I didn't want to get fired for not being a jerk)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
adblock plus is your friend!!! I wouldn't be opposed to a paid subscription plan though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Schweb,

This new ad format is disconcerting, to say the least - I read the OP's problem and looked for the first response and Voila! there's this big ad in the middle of the discussion...

I know someone has to pay, but the ads weren't intrusive before. Can't we just go back to the way they were? I'll pay if we have to, but this is just my honest opinion.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
The ads WERE obtrusive and ugly... "were" because I installed adblock for safari! I probably wouldn't have if it weren't for the huge ads after the first post! Thank you mac-forums! LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.