zooming in on your mac

Reaction score
a few days ago, i came across a *great* feature i had no idea existed on my mac, which in its limited but real way changed my life...

now my father had always been boosting about his browser (i think it was opera), which allowed him to zoom in on any page/image... sure, it's a neat trick -- and i couldn't say my safari or firefox could do the same.
but a few days ago, as i was browsing, i accidentally used a shortcut i'm used to with firefox on windows: ctrl-mousewheel up or down to make the text bigger or smaller. i was actually trying to zoom in, but had forgotten i wasn't using my PC at work, but my neat Mac at home. but hey, what's that?? it does zoom in! i thought "neat, so firefox *does* have a zoom feature after all. but then i notice that not only the text, but *everything* is bigger -- and when i move my mouse (which is bigger), the screen seems to be moving along! so i thought "it can't be a firefox thing, let's try it somewhere else". i switch to photoshop, try it... guess what: it zoomed in on my picture! of course at the current screen resolution -- as i said, it actually enlarges the screen as a whole, down to perhaps a 10x size or more! of course, when you do that, the screen image gets bigger than your display -- that's why the part displayed follows the mouse -- in a very natural way i must add.

one might think "well, great, so you see bigger pixels, now what?". now i can't stop using it! even if the mouse moves at the "same speed" (relatively to the actual resolution of your display), even if you don't get more details (actually i think i can remember the text is anti-aliased), it's just so practical! first it's very easy and quick -- when i'm browsing, i always have one hand on my mouse and one on my keyboard. well, that's exactly what i need to see a webpage bigger, without messing up the whole layout. also, i have a 19" display, and with a resolution of 1600x1200, the pixels are pretty small. i have a good sight, but i don't complain if they're a bit bigger... besides, when zooming in on a picture i'm working on, i still have it whole in my window -- only the window gets bigger, and i can still reach all of it. basically, it's just as if i had a 30 or 40" display, always focusing on what i'm actually looking at...

there are so many ways it can be used, and it just doesn't get in the way -- it's there when you need it, but if you need to see the whole screen, well, it's just a small mousewheel move away!

but i've been disappointed though... i have an "old" (2 years!) dual G5, running Tiger 10.4.9, a CRT display, and logitech cordless keyboard and mouse. dunno if that's relevant, but yesterday i was at an apple store (or the closest equivalent we have here in germany), and i tried it on an imac with a mighty mouse... disappointment! the desktop remains motionless...

so i'm not sure what the winning combination is. or is it just a configuration thing? i think i've seen pretty much all ways the keyboard and mouse can be configured, and i can't remember seeing anything like this -- and i know i haven't set it myself... can some of you try and say what they get?
i want to get a new mac soon (but i'm waiting till after the WWDC :) ), and i know i'll be awfully disappointed if i can't use this feature on it...
and i hope they keep it in Leopard!!

Reaction score
Hey... I don't know about Leopard. But when I use control + double-finger scroll on the trackpad... (see system preferences under mouse) ANYTHING I am looking at can be magnified. I quickly read your post so I'm not sure if that helps or not. It definitely is a great feature and I've been using it since I bought my first mac a month ago.

Scott

Reaction score
a few days ago, i came across a *great* feature i had no idea existed on my mac, which in its limited but real way changed my life...

now my father had always been boosting about his browser (i think it was opera), which allowed him to zoom in on any page/image... sure, it's a neat trick -- and i couldn't say my safari or firefox could do the same.
but a few days ago, as i was browsing, i accidentally used a shortcut i'm used to with firefox on windows: ctrl-mousewheel up or down to make the text bigger or smaller. i was actually trying to zoom in, but had forgotten i wasn't using my PC at work, but my neat Mac at home. but hey, what's that?? it does zoom in! i thought "neat, so firefox *does* have a zoom feature after all. but then i notice that not only the text, but *everything* is bigger -- and when i move my mouse (which is bigger), the screen seems to be moving along! so i thought "it can't be a firefox thing, let's try it somewhere else". i switch to photoshop, try it... guess what: it zoomed in on my picture! of course at the current screen resolution -- as i said, it actually enlarges the screen as a whole, down to perhaps a 10x size or more! of course, when you do that, the screen image gets bigger than your display -- that's why the part displayed follows the mouse -- in a very natural way i must add.

one might think "well, great, so you see bigger pixels, now what?". now i can't stop using it! even if the mouse moves at the "same speed" (relatively to the actual resolution of your display), even if you don't get more details (actually i think i can remember the text is anti-aliased), it's just so practical! first it's very easy and quick -- when i'm browsing, i always have one hand on my mouse and one on my keyboard. well, that's exactly what i need to see a webpage bigger, without messing up the whole layout. also, i have a 19" display, and with a resolution of 1600x1200, the pixels are pretty small. i have a good sight, but i don't complain if they're a bit bigger... besides, when zooming in on a picture i'm working on, i still have it whole in my window -- only the window gets bigger, and i can still reach all of it. basically, it's just as if i had a 30 or 40" display, always focusing on what i'm actually looking at...

there are so many ways it can be used, and it just doesn't get in the way -- it's there when you need it, but if you need to see the whole screen, well, it's just a small mousewheel move away!

but i've been disappointed though... i have an "old" (2 years!) dual G5, running Tiger 10.4.9, a CRT display, and logitech cordless keyboard and mouse. dunno if that's relevant, but yesterday i was at an apple store (or the closest equivalent we have here in germany), and i tried it on an imac with a mighty mouse... disappointment! the desktop remains motionless...

so i'm not sure what the winning combination is. or is it just a configuration thing? i think i've seen pretty much all ways the keyboard and mouse can be configured, and i can't remember seeing anything like this -- and i know i haven't set it myself... can some of you try and say what they get?
i want to get a new mac soon (but i'm waiting till after the WWDC :) ), and i know i'll be awfully disappointed if i can't use this feature on it...
and i hope they keep it in Leopard!!

That is a cool feature until your Mighty Mouse's Scroll Ball freezes when you are zoomed in, then it's fun and games trying to get things back to normal.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
P
Reaction score
oh, can't remember having seen that before -- perhaps the checkbox is not on the default mouse pref panel... i'll check that tonight. but at least it's not a "hidden" feature like i thought, so probably it's still gonna be here in leopard :))

Reaction score
I double checked and there is a box to check for enabling this feature (system preferences/trackpad/trackpad gestures)... I'm sure it will remain part of Leopard...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I also am a constant zoom user, what a sweet feature!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
That is a cool feature until your Mighty Mouse's Scroll Ball freezes when you are zoomed in, then it's fun and games trying to get things back to normal.

Absolutely, I just did it this morning, had to reboot my mac to get out of an enormous screen. Am I the only one with a mighty mouse whose trackball freezes, for sometimes weeks at a time? I had the first one replaced, but the new one does it too?
(sorry to hijack the thread!!)
Sim

Reaction score
Absolutely, I just did it this morning, had to reboot my mac to get out of an enormous screen. Am I the only one with a mighty mouse whose trackball freezes, for sometimes weeks at a time? I had the first one replaced, but the new one does it too?
(sorry to hijack the thread!!)
Sim

I think I get out of that situation by pressing Shift + Command + Q ... this logs me out and then I log back in and the problems solved. Of course you wouldn't want to have unsaved changes as you would lose them.

I fix my frozen mouse trackball using a technique suggested by RIDE:

Hold the mouse upside down, press the ball a little and blow while you roll the ball around.

This is the best method I've found to free up the movement again. You could also get an earbud and use a small amount of surgical spirits and dab the trackball, moving it in all directions. There's no need for you to suffer the frozen trackball for weeks ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Pulse-8! Problem solved in 30secs. I love this forum, it's going in my will...
;D ;D ;D

Reaction score
I used to solve my frozen trackball prob by holding the Control Key and zooming in/out ... this would sort out the trackball - but then sometimes it would zoom in but not out ... then I was in trouble!

Another technique I'd use was to go to Prefs -> Mouse and play around with the settings, in the hope that it would jog the scroll wheel back into shape. This would sometimes work, too.

By far the suggestion given by RIDE is the best I've found. It's important to keep your fingertips really clean as if you've been eating something then the scroll ball will freeze up within seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And that's where the problem probably comes from. I'm alwasy eating at my Mac. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

b

This feature was introduced around the same time as the might mouse I think... 10.4.5. or around then.

You can also hit Apple and + to enlarge text in Safari or most other apps...
That won't zoom in on images, but it won't look quite as blurry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.