• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

You for coffee ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
As requested on the Intro thread. Who's for coffee and what kind?

For me, filter, black and NO sugar. How else can it be consumed :cool:

Laté? What the **** is that supposed to be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I’m a crazy one. I fresh grind a decent bean, boil water to 93.5 and French press. So tasty I drink it black. I have read somewhere that people who drink their coffee black are crazy. Or was it serial killers. I promise I’m not the latter, but can’t confirm the first one.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
We too grind fresh beans, but do you chop grind or do it properly and crush grind them?

Zapatista Blend fair trade and of course organic beans :cool::cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I’m afraid I’m a heathen in grinding, I have a cheap one. I keep saying I will get the better ones, but I haven’t. I did buy a really nice big stainless steel French press though! I have used kicking horse but somehow it doesn’t seem as good the past while. I haven’t dug in yet as to what I should try next.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Nobody has mentioned the price yet; it's up to AU$50.00/Kg in Australia and I think it will get higher than that. I know why but this is not the place to go into those topics.
What I am is very grateful to have brought 3Kg of pure Arabica at AU$10.00 /Kg from Bali where it's been grown and roasted in the mountains for over a century.
I use an electric mill grinder to grind just enough for 4 cups (2 each for my wife and I) in a stove top 2 cup Bialetti stainless steel percolator. We both take milk and one sugar :coffee:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Percolators is the other method I love. I used to have one of those old school steel ones I got from a garage sale once, fantastic.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the one w get. Good stuff, £24 per 4 1/2lbs

I think that we have a cafetiere somewhere, but since we had the filter jobbie it hasn't been used.

My son and daughter-in-law have one of those things that you put the little capsule in and get a single cup. Not to our taste though and why queue up when you have company when you can make enough for 4 or 5 people with seconds if wanted? Plus, I don't like the bloke who advertises them!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-31 at 08.02.36.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-31 at 08.02.36.png
    698.7 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Is it sacrilege to say these days I tend to use my Nespresso machine? What else? Well I do have a cafetière and a grinder, so I do occasionally buy some decent roasted beans. I prefer to drink what, here in the UK, Starbucks, Costa, Caffè Nero et al call “Americano” but with a dash of hot milk, so only moderately strong. I gave up sugar many years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
$50 a kg… holy. They had said price would skyrocket and it would be scarce a while back here so that when I bought a pile of kicking horse on sale. It isn’t bad but it used to be much better, I think someone bought them out. I’m open to suggestions but I’m here in Canada. I prefer medium roasts, sometimes a light roast is awesome. I think I need to consider a better grinder.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to the 'experts' (definition - an 'ex' is a has been and a 'spurt' is a drip under pressure) the crush grinder is better and gives a much better and consistant grind. The chop grinder literally chops what's in front of the spinning blade and is much more random, so

You pays your money and takes your choice. Oh, SWMBO has just bought me a cup of coffee, literally. We normally have a cup at this time :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes on the crush grinder, I’ve been using the chop for some time, it does the job if you shake it up and down to help it along and pulse it. If one is somewhat quieter too because I’m often up before the wife. I don’t like grinding the night before, call me crazy…

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At one stage in France we had a machine that was a combined grinder filter jobbie. We gave it up as an expensive waste of time after a short while. Partly because it was OK if you had a good set of ear defenders! That was a crush grind, but not a lot of cop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I use to do all the grinding and buying all kinds of special coffees. Never got into French press but my daughter loves hers. But when old age hit I found I can no longer drink it black. My stomach has informed me that is over. Occasionally I sip some really good black rich coffee but I have to be careful or I will pay. Now I buy Folgers black silk and use a lot of sugar free coffee matte. With today's prices it cost as much as what my favorite special coffees use to cost me! Sad but true. :cry:

BTW: We still have a backup stainless steel percolator just incase the drip coffee maker dies!

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've wasted more money on Keurig machines than I like to admit. I like the coffee pods because they are convenient to use and fast. However, it seems Keurig has no idea what quality control is. Absolute junk.

I finally wound up buying a small Keurig clone machine from Amazon (made in China of course) that works great. The coffee pods are a bit more expensive than regular ground coffee but you can always use a reusable pod and your own grounds. Besides our Safeway store always has them on sale.

Gave up grinding my own coffee years ago. Too much trouble and like John says, too noisy.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No Chas, I said that we ditched one machine because of the noise but the one we have now is OK.

Anyway we have to suffer for our loves in life or they aren't worth it o_O:loveit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha. Suffer. Well I wouldn’t quite go that far, but I’ve been doing it a certain way for many years now, to me it’s as quick as doing a drip machine, but I’m late 50s, I’ll see how I feel in 10 years.

a pal I’ve travelled with for work has brought what’s called an arrowpress I think it’s called. He’s certifiable about his coffee, it’s a portable plunger device that makes one cup, but it did make some incredible ups of coffee.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.