Yosemity update

Reaction score
I usually update immediately but decided to wait this time. What are some of the problems experienced by this community? I'm running the latest version of 10.9.5 on an iMac 21.5in mid-2011.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read through our forums and others. But keep in mind that the vast majority of users who have updated to Yosemite have not had any problems.

Reaction score
MacBook Air had to be taken in even after cleaning the disc (?) via tech support. A Genius had to take it to the backroom after trying to install OS X but even 10.9.1.5 failed as well. The store did not yet have access to a native 10.10. 3rd Genius reported it was a permissions problem and all is well for now. TM brought back everything okay as far as I can tell but Google and Amazon Drives do not like the fact their folder is not in the same position; however DropBox does not seem to mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For notebooks, format the drive and do a clean install each and every time there is a new release. And where possible at least 8GB of memory.

On an iMac, ran from the original Beta release, and only one or two minior glitches, and the general release seems to have no problems. Be aware if you are having problems on your your machine prior to upgrading, those problems will continue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I have put it on my 2013 4 core Mini four days ago and it has been working fine. All my software works and it seems to be fairly fast.

But...

I just had my first BSOD on an Apple product since I switched in 2008. Between one click and the next, I got an instant black screen and a reboot with the message that "Your machine has crashed" or words to that effect.

I assume it has something to do with Yosemite, since the machine has been running error free for a year with ML and Mav. The install is new and little software has been loaded as yet, so it is still fairly vanilla. Still, coincidences occur, and maybe I am getting a new memory error or something.

Time will tell.

*by the way, the install was from scratch, not an update.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BSOD? Please explain? If black screen, maybe email the developers of the software you were trying touse and find out when they intend released a Yosemite compatible driver. They have had six months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BSOD? Please explain? If black screen, maybe email the developers of the software you were trying touse and find out when they intend released a Yosemite compatible driver. They have had six months.

Black Screen of Death.

I was in Safari, just casually surfing, was on a news site and clicked the back arrow to return to the home screen. No pause, no error. I got an instant Black screen on my TB monitor, then the boot chime and a gray screen with a huge block of text (Not Microsoft-like hex codes) that could not possible be read in the few seconds that it was shown. A notice was posted that the error would be sent to Apple.

But the machine came back up and restarted the few apps that were running when it went down. Interestingly, it restarted Safari with all my tabs that had been opened, and came up at the screen on which I had clicked the back button.

Flash is not loaded. Actually, the only software that I have reloaded from the App store is Scrivener, so there isn't much to look for in the way of rogue apps.

Reaction score
I had a problem installing Yosemite...the solution was to go to disk utilities...first run verify disk...if OK then run Verify Disk Permissions...if there are problems (mine had a bunch) then run Repair Disk Permissions...when all the repairs are made...you may have to reinstall your old system (download will take a while of course) and then you can run the Yosemite upgrade. This is what worked for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is not looking good.

Second BSOD this morning. This time I was manually copying a folder from the previous time machine. Suddenly the finder beachballed, but I could still move between desktops. The force quit said that the Installer was not responding which is very strange since I wasnt installing anything. In fact, nothing was running except for finder and Mail.

In about five seconds, it black screened and rebooted.

By the way, the large message it posts is just some verbage in very small type stating that Your machine has experience a malfunction... And in about six languages.

I may TM back to Mavericks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New problem. Went to breakfast, came back and I thought it had BSODed again, but not rebooted. Logged into it from my other Mini and it was up and running, but just had a blank TB monitor. And the usb drive plugged into the monitor thought that it had been ejected without unmounting. The display would not come back until I restarted.

Nuff of dis. Time Machineing Mavericks back. I need a stable place to restart to see if the problems are Yosemite (almost certainly) or if, by coincidence my Mini has developed a hardware problem around the time of the update. Unlikely, but I have seen even weirder happenings in a lifetime of computers.

My fault. I have always known not to purchase the first model of a new car, or to depend on version 1.00 of anything. Should have waited for the first update to Yosemite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be interesting to see. Think it is highly likely. Have used Yosemite since Public Beta 1 and have had no problems at all, but I did do a clean install as always. This is particualrly important for notebook and Mini users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mavericks is running solid, just as before my foray into Yoseymite. Glad that my Mini isn't croaked, since you can't buy another one anymore.

However, I see lots of bugs being reported with 10.10 but nothing like I have had. Possibly I got a bad download, or it went bad when it was installed on a flash drive. Not sure whether to wait for 10.10.next or try again.

C

chas_m

And the usb drive plugged into the monitor thought that it had been ejected without unmounting. The display would not come back until I restarted.

If you ever feel like investigating this problem. This (^^^) is where I'd start. I have discovered (separately) that Yosemite appears to be a bit more sensitive to sudden disconnects of external stuff than Mavericks was (I'm not saying you accidentally or purposefully disconnected anything, just that the symptoms you describe sound like a sudden disconnect for some reason).

Yesterday I accidentally unplugged a USB 3 drive I thought was turned off. It was not. Instead of getting the "this drive has ben ejected" warning, it just went kernel panic. A restart sorted everything out, but man its been a loooong time since I've seen a KP on my machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I found it. If I don't start Mail, I never see a crash (so far). I had reloaded Yosemite and used it for an entire day just fine. Then realized that I had never setup Mail. Started it, loaded my accounts and ten minutes later it crashed.

Rebooted, shut down Mail and used it all day yesterday. This morning, I started Mail and died within the hour. Turned it off, and am still running as of now (20:00)

Interesting, but still don't know why. I don't see that zillions of people are claiming that Apple Mail is hosing them.

Still looking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.