Yosemite... Sigh...

Reaction score
ok Rohnie i m going to propose this :

the download of Mavericks has been completed ok ?
but the application will not open… that is because you are running a newer OS.

now… what you downloaded is an application. it must be in the Applications folder named Install OS X Mavericks.
maybe it will be grayed out with a circle and a diagonal line.

forget disk utility .
run Diskmaker X. (previously named liondiskmaker)
download from DiskMaker X

an 8gb usb drive will be needed. (i would use a fast one)
(or if you are not scared with terminal command line - don't panic- just ONE command
open terminal and copy and paste this command (make sure the usb drive is in).

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

It will do the exact same thing as Diskmaker X. (previously named liondiskmaker). of course as with disk maker X the Install OS X Mavericks app will have to be in the applications folder.

this is a sudo command. copy and paste it and just hit enter. you will need to have a password. blank password won't let the command run.

now when you type your password nothing will appear. not even dots or stars. hit enter
if you entered the command and your password correctly you will receive some lines in the terminal window that will say how the process is going .

you will be notified when it's done. no message will pop just a line in the terminal window. do not close the terminal before that.

now you should have a bootable mavericks drive.
to verify that go to system preferences and go to startup disk (4th row) . next to your macintosh HD there must appear the usb drive when pluggeg in.

ok … now the second part. had you ever had windows on a mac? if yes you would remember pressing an holding the alt / option key after the mac bongs and before the apple logo appears.

reboot with the usb plugged in. immediately after the bong sound press and HOLD the alt/option key.
you will be greeted with a screen with 3 disks. macintosh hd (thats yosemite) , recovery hd and you usb drive. with the mouse or arrow keys select the usb .

when it boots you will have a screen with a menubar the installer screen
do not click install yet.
from the menubar click utilities > disk utility . select your hard drive and click erase. (that will format the disk) when done quit disk utility

click install. the installer should proceed .

please tell me if it worked.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Spyrmac, that is a beautiful set of very clear instructions. I might add that Rohnie should copy and paste the Terminal command line you advised rather than trying to write it down. Much less chance of error that way.
Your method also has the advantage of having a copy of the installer for later use.
I'm always a bit nervous about online restore methods. They are simple but require a very reliable internet connection. The last thing you want is for your connection to drop out halfway through. I should have advised that connecting to the modem directly using a LAN cable is advisable in preference to WiFi. Just in case.
Merry Christmas to All.
Rod

Reaction score
Probably she has not downloaded mavericks from the app store if the mac came with mavericks . If you have downloaded mavericks then you upgraded from 10.8.x . Anyway if it's in your purchases it's ok .
Do you have the install OS X Mavericks app in the applications folder ?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP Retina late 2013 2.4 GHz i5 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 OS 10.10.1
I just want to say thank you to all who have posted and re-posted on this thread. I have read your comments on my phone for the last few days. I did take my Mac to the store (where I purchased it) and there it sat for 6 DAYS!! When I picked it up, this past Saturday, it did have Mavericks re-installed on it, however, things were not how they were suppose to be. As I think I stated before in an earlier post, I had paid $400 for a service agreement and will never do that again. The store did the best they could, but I just got home from the Apple store and had the Geniuses look at it. I must say they did a very, very good inspection of the Mac to make sure it was up to par and they said it was in perfect condition. They wiped the hard drive and installed Yosemite on it. This version of Yosemite seems to be running better than the one I had before, and cross my fingers, I hope, things will be better. I cannot seem to win here. All of those who said that the Apple store people want the newest version of the O/S system installed on Macs, were correct. I don't mind after all I went through and after writing this whole thing. Once the Apple Genius explained the system and took the time to show me the pros of the O/S, I am glad he was there. They were patient with me and let me vent. They sure get top of the line training and it shows!! Again, thank you all for your support, and your patience with me. Guess I say goodbye to my Mavericks and hello to Yosemite. I will miss it, but I guess change must come also. If I had bought a new Mac, I would have been forced to have Yosemite right? Now I have a brand new factory reset Mac, so it is running just like a brand new one. I hope you all understand.

Reaction score
I just want to say thank you to all who have posted and re-posted on this thread. I have read your comments on my phone for the last few days. I did take my Mac to the store (where I purchased it) and there it sat for 6 DAYS!! When I picked it up, this past Saturday, it did have Mavericks re-installed on it, however, things were not how they were suppose to be. As I think I stated before in an earlier post, I had paid $400 for a service agreement and will never do that again. The store did the best they could, but I just got home from the Apple store and had the Geniuses look at it. I must say they did a very, very good inspection of the Mac to make sure it was up to par and they said it was in perfect condition. They wiped the hard drive and installed Yosemite on it. This version of Yosemite seems to be running better than the one I had before, and cross my fingers, I hope, things will be better. I cannot seem to win here. All of those who said that the Apple store people want the newest version of the O/S system installed on Macs, were correct. I don't mind after all I went through and after writing this whole thing. Once the Apple Genius explained the system and took the time to show me the pros of the O/S, I am glad he was there. They were patient with me and let me vent. They sure get top of the line training and it shows!! Again, thank you all for your support, and your patience with me. Guess I say goodbye to my Mavericks and hello to Yosemite. I will miss it, but I guess change must come also. If I had bought a new Mac, I would have been forced to have Yosemite right? Now I have a brand new factory reset Mac, so it is running just like a brand new one. I hope you all understand.

I understand fully; I am ever so slowly learning to adjust to Yosemite after giving up my beloved Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
If you downloaded Mavericks before, it should still be available in your "Purchased" list at App Store. It is for me. Mavericks isn't available for NEW purchase, however.

Yea if you haven't previously purchased it before (even though its free) it will not show up. Its likely Apple has done this to get users to install the latest OS. But in the past they have re-enabled the other OS versions for download again. But that may be a month or two more from now. They really want those upgrade numbers to look good for the next Live Event.. LOL..

The built in Internet Recovery Option that was also mentioned above will only install the latest OS that your machine can run. Which for most of us will be Yosemite.

I did a upgrade to Yosemite and notice later own that many things were broken. So I had to go back to Mavericks. But even before switching back to Mavericks I did a full clean install of Yosemite the second time and still had many things broken. So it confuses me that so many claim it works fine, or what I really feel is that many don't fully use many of the features that come with the OS that I do and haven't noticed the broken toys.. I ended up with two weeks of downtime on my blog due to this crap. I personally feel most users use the internet and likely one simple photos program at most and think everything works great. But some of us use many many programs (i did say many, like more then 45 total) on a weekly basis. So we notice things.. Still that said, it is possible I could have downloaded two bad copies, both times. Anything is possible. I am gonna sit on Mavericks on this system for the time being. When I upgrade to a Mac Pro (likely next fall or so) I will use what ever OS is on it as it should be solid.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP Retina late 2013 2.4 GHz i5 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 OS 10.10.1
Yes, spyrmac, they installed the Mavericks and it was not as good as before. Not sure what happened. Like I said, The Geniuses at the Apple store did a very comprehensive check of my machine while sitting there. The copy of Yosemite they gave me was tried and tested they said. I have been on my computer constantly since then and noticed no issues as of yet. Last time I installed the OS, these issues I had, I noticed right away. My suggestion would be to any of you who are having issues, do what I did and go see the people at the Apple store. It was FREE. I suffered too long and made all the wrong choices. I tried to fix my Mac by myself. I also tried to take my Mac to people who aren't "Mac People". There are many people on this forum though who are so super Mac smart and know what they are doing. I only wish I had half of your knowledge. I am a 'hands on learner'. I am going to try to find a class where I can learn everything I can about the ins and outs of how my Mac works. From the OS to what to do to repair it when things go bad. That is if I can find one here in my neck of the woods. Either that or buy a book but that will only take me so far...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.