Yosemite on Mac Mini Early 2009 with 8GB and 1TB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
I am currently bidding on the Mac Mini in the title and wondering how well this configuration will run Yosemite or will I have to still with Mavericks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It will run Yosemite quite well. The rule of thumb is should Mavericks be fine, Yosemite will be fine. When you get the mini, suggest creating an Apple ID if you do not have one, download Yosemite and prior to running the Installer, burn to a USB thumb drive using DiskMakerX. Bot from the thumb drive, format the hard drive and do a clean install.

OP
GameGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
Yeah I will definitely want to do a clean install. They have Yosemite on it now but I watched some super stuttery videos of Yosemite on an early 2009 Mac Mini so I was a little concerned. So I should be able to use Yosemite well with this configuration?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes you will, Yosemite will be just fine. The problem with all the later digital download operating systems is ownership always belongs to the Apple ID that downloaded it. Should you continue to use Yosemite you would not be able to get Security and General Updates which are vital with so much malware about.

When you get the Mini, get Yosemite and do as suggested. When up and running download AdwareMedic, AdBlockPlus and Ghostery to control all these nasties on the 'net. Never download anything from softonc or CNET as they are noted for this.

The Mini you watched Yosemite on could have had insufficient memory, a full hard drive and not had Onyx run over it, the best cleaning app available for Macs. Also there is a Firmware Update for that Mini, version 1.2.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm running Yosemite on a 2008 MacBook Pro with a Core2Duo processor only a little slower than the one in that Mini. Yosemite runs fine on it. I didn't notice a speed drop compared to 10.7.5. I am running an SSD as the boot drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.