Yosemite Max RAM

Reaction score
Hey,

This may be an informational post only or perhaps someone here has a response.

I have a 2012 iMac that had 4 GB RAM. I went to OWC and saw the hardware on the iMac could handle 32 GB RAM. Since I run a lot of stuff I decided it was worth maxing the iMac.

Today however I was speaking with a Senior Apple Tech about maxing out the RAM on my other system, a 2011 MacBook Pro. He said the MacBook Pro hardware maxes at 16GB RAM but Yosemite can only make use of 8GB.

I didn't ask about the iMac but clearly the answer would be that Yosemite can't use all of the 32 GB.

Ugh.

Kind regards,
Minding

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And don't double post. Admin and Mods do not like it!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Today however I was speaking with a Senior Apple Tech about maxing out the RAM on my other system, a 2011 MacBook Pro. He said the MacBook Pro hardware maxes at 16GB RAM but Yosemite can only make use of 8GB.

Not true. While Apple has stated in their specs that only 8 GB of memory can be installed, actually testing has found that 16 GB can indeed be used and recognized by OS X. That comes from OWC Mac Sales, and Mactracker. You need to speak to another Apple tech because Yosemite has nothing to do with it.

I've got 16 GB of memory in my iMac and I'm running Yosemite. I can positively tell you that Yosemite will use as much memory as it needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

If this is what was actually said by this "Senior Apple Tech" (and not an interpretation). Sounds to me like they may need to take a few new courses and catch up on things. Because this certainly isn't true.

- Nick

M

MacInWin

I, too, have 16GB in my Mac and Yosemite loves it. Don't know who the Senior Apple Tech was, but he/she was dead wrong.

C

chas_m

So just to be clear about it:

The mid-2011 MacBook Pro you reference is limited to 16GB of RAM. I have 16GB in my mid-2012 running Yosemite, but I originally installed it under Mavericks. You'll need a #00 Phillips screwdriver to do that, it's pretty easy.

The 2012 iMac can handle 32GB of RAM, but IIRC it's not an easy job at all.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I installed 32 GB on the iMac before speaking with the Senior rep and was questioning whether to install 8 GB or 16GB on my MacBook Pro. I had him repeat his answer a few times in a few different ways. He was very clear that the OS would not use the full 16 GB. Seemed ridiculous to me which is why I brought it up here. He was evidently following the party line.

I will be checking the Activity Monitor on the iMac to watch memory usage.

As for double-posting, the other post was about Parallels while this one is not and I thought I posted it in a different forum. It seems however it was too much of a look-a-like and wasn't in a separate forum since it appears to have been deleted.

All the best,
Mindiing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.