Yosemite Mail Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macmini quad i7 16gb ram
Any body else getting issues with mail after yosemite upgrade.. my macbook pro continually mail program goes offline more that online since upgrade, any thoughts..

C

chas_m

I have seen reports of some users with issues with Mail, though it appears to mostly have to do with either Gmail or Exchange accounts. Are the problems you are having relate to either of those?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macmini quad i7 16gb ram
no this is just standard mail from a .co.uk.
so far i have deleted accounts, restarted and rebuilt them.
upgraded to 10.1
still issues.. uggg

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macmini quad i7 16gb ram
hi thanks for coming back to me..
Now the internet is just fine, no other internet related apps effected, just mail..

C

chas_m

Is this a POP-based or IMAP-based account?

Sorry for playing 20 questions, but it's how we eliminate possible causes.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macmini quad i7 16gb ram
hi they are all imap based accounts..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
theguru experiencing similar down under. On Yosemite with POP Mac Mail, Inbox has the black triangle with white exclamation mark, in Preferences Icoming Mail Server is greyed out. ISP as confused as me and they have never seen the greyed out mail server address before.

Reaction score
This happens when someone is ghosting the ip address.

This basically means someone on the server end for the mail service has been targeted and blocked for known or unknown reasons.

Simple fix go to your mail service provider and get a updated information on there mail servers for imap or pop depending on what you use.

Delete the mail preference file and restart mail again.

Insert the new updated data into mail.

And your mail should come back online.

If it doesn't then 10.10.1 has corrupted a file somewhere and to fix this you need to just manually download the 10.10.1 update from apples own site and run it again.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macmini quad i7 16gb ram
thanks for the update.
note i have 2 macs grabbing the same mail one mac on yosemite and one mac on Mavericks.
The Mavericks machine does not have a problem until the yosemite mail comes online, then the whole thing goes down on both macs.
its dev an issue in the 10.10.1.

WIll the updage 10.10.1 run again on a mac that already has it on?

C

chas_m

theguru: at last we are getting somewhere. So what you're saying is that Mail works fine on Mavericks, but you're having a NETWORKING issue of some kind when Mail on Yosemite is fired up that causes the Mail on Mavericks to fail as well.

It should go without saying, but you should file a bug report with Apple about this using the feedback feature from either of your mail programs.

You may well find that the issue is actually happening at the router level. I'm not certain what's going on there, but at least we're getting some data we can work with.

Have you tried putting either machine on a completely different network rather than sharing the same Wi-Fi network (like say going to a coffeeshop or something)? Does that change anything? What about on the Yosemite machine using the guest account and setting up your mail account there? Any difference?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.