Yosemite iMail

Reaction score
I've just had the most challenging week ever with a new upgrade, whether PC or Mac. Since upgrading to Yosemite, when I use iMail my iMac slows to a stop and sometimes crashes completely. It hogs RAM up to 45 GB and requires reboot. After many calls to support and being first chastised for having malware, Apple finally agreed it was a Yosemite problem. But there is no fix. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

M

MacInWin

What is iMail? Is it a third party email system? Why not use Apple's Mail product? Mail is working perfectly for me here, and according to Activity Monitor is taking up about 114 MB of RAM. Did you really mean it's taking 45GB of RAM or is that disk storage? If RAM that is phenomenal! I've never heard of anything taking that much RAM, ever! It's no wonder it's crashing with that kind of demand. Get rid of iMail, go with Mail.

OP
F
Reaction score
iMail

Perhaps I don't know the right terms. I am using Mail that comes with the operating system. And it worked relatively well with Mavericks and the prior operating system. It also works well with iCloud so even my calendar synchs well. And yes, the Activity Monitor does show some recursive loop or something is happening because when I check it during the system nearly crashing it shows up to 45 GB of RAM in use. So it seems the Yosemite product has made my Mail application unusable. That is a real problem. Of course, going to Outlook means my calendar won't synch and the operating system calendar does not accept Exchange invites very well. I am quite disillusioned with Apple. The support folks note they have no solution but others experience the same. Apparently some real testing was grossly insufficient.

M

MacInWin

Well, as I said, Mail is working for me, so it's not systemic. It has to be something in YOUR setup. Who is your mail provider?

OP
F
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. I have spent countless hours with Apple support and they tried blaming me an my system, going through all kinds of checks and fixes. In the end, the problem continued. And they informed me others have the same problem, but not all. It is really condescending to suggest that issues are always those of the users. I don't appreciate that attitude from vendors or others.

M

MacInWin

Don't take it personally. I didn't say it was you. I said, if you will read carefully, that there must be some difference in your setup. But go ahead and shoot the helper.

I'm done. Good luck with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.