Yosemite froze my MAC during installation

Reaction score
Bless you, volunteers, for helping.

I have an IMac about 5 years old. I am running Maverick10.9.5. Last week I installed Bitdefender anti virus. I use Chrome, Safari, and Firefox depending on the task. I connect to the Internet by Comcast cable. I downloaded Yosemite and started installing it. I reached the window where the bar shows the progress. It stops about half way across. There is no way to reach the Apple icon or status bar in this window. I tried turning the machine off for several minutes and then back on. The same window appears and the progress bar starts progressing again until it stops at the same point. I have let the window sit for 12 hours with no change. I have unplugged the machine overnight and the same window and progression repeats.

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

Read the article linked in my sig and repost with the information we need to be able to try to help.

OP
M
Reaction score
mac frozen installing Yosemite

Bless you, volunteers, for helping.

I have an IMac about 5 years old. I am running Maverick10.9.5. Last week I installed Bitdefender anti virus. I use Chrome, Safari, and Firefox depending on the task. I connect to the Internet by Comcast cable. I downloaded Yosemite and started installing it. I reached the window where the bar shows the progress. It stops about half way across. There is no way to reach the Apple icon or status bar in this window. I tried turning the machine off for several minutes and then back on. The same window appears and the progress bar starts progressing again until it stops at the same point. I have let the window sit for 12 hours with no change. I have unplugged the machine overnight and the same window and progression repeats.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MacInWin

1. Get rid of bitdefender.
2. Reinstall Yosemite.
3. DON"T reinstall bitdefender. Unnecessary and useless. You also don't need MacKeeper or any other so called antivirus or "helper" software. If you feel you MUST do something, get Onxy from Titanium software and run it once a year.

EDIT: Also, stop shutting it down with power off. That is a prime way to leave it unbootable.

OP
M
Reaction score
frozen mac during yosemite installation

The basic question I am left with is how to get rid of that window. I am guessing a trip to the Apple store is in my future. I can't get rid of BitDefender when the screen is frozen. Thank you for the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
A trip to the Apple store is a good idea.
You could try Recovery mode:
Restart and hold Command + R until you get something More than just the white apple on gray. I'm hoping the "reinstall OS X" will give you a choice between 10.9 and 10.10. But maybe not - read here:
OS X: About OS X Recovery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
@Meelen . . .
There is a question I must ask...do you have a Time Machine back-up and/or a 3rd party bootable drive back-up (SuperDuper/Carbon Copy Cloner) of your "stuff"?

OP
M
Reaction score
yosemite froze my Mac during installation

Dogbreath: Thank you for asking. Yes I have an external back up drive.

Gsahli: I will try your suggestion. Thank you.

OP
M
Reaction score
frozen mac during yosemite installation

I tried the command-R and was able to get a window that let me use the time machine. It is currently restoring from that. Thanks to all for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I tried the command-R and was able to get a window that let me use the time machine (TM). It is currently restoring from that. Thanks to all for the help.

Hello - if the TM backup is current, then you will still have Bitdefender to address as already discussed; removal of 'malware' on the Mac can be difficult since code will often hide in the nooks & crannies of your hard drive - if an uninstall app is not available, check their website HERE for guidelines on how to get the program off you computer. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.