Yosemite clean instal & CCC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I want to do a clean instal of Yosemite and then reload all of my applications and files from Carbon Copy Cloner. Is this possible and if so how will I be able to do please?

At the moment I am running Mavericks on both my iMac 21 1/2 and MacBook Pro 13.

Edit : - I am sorry if this is covered before, but I didn't have any idea of what to search for on this one ??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In my opinion, it's not advisable to do it that way. It's best to do the clean install and then use your Time Machine backup that you made just prior to the update to restore all your apps and data. CCC of course is great as a quick backup and full restore but restoring individual files and data would be too time consuming. TM is faster and actually in this instance more efficient.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
OK, I now have my instal disk (USB stick) ready and connected. I started the instal and clicked on the "Instal OS X Yosemite" drive (the USB stick) and the screen turned to light grey with a darker grey circle with a line top left to bottom right. That was well over an hour ago and it is still there. I would have thought that it would have done something by now, or am I not being patient enough??

Any ideas please? Will I have to kick it off again, indeed, can I kick it off again???

Panic over. I decided that the screen was telling me that it could not see the USB stick, so I switched it off, plugged the stick idirectly into a USB slot in the back of the iMac and it was seen and is loading Yosemite now.

Next, to put all me rubbish back on, but I think I will keep my photos on an external HDD instead of cluttering the main HDD.

Last edited:
OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have started to transfer data from Time M/c, but I can't work out how to transfer my Mail contacts? The messages for my e-mail address are there, but no contacts.

Any ideas please??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I'm not to sure about contacts. I thought everything was held in the V2 folder in Library/Mail/V2 I have always only moved across the Mail folder and opened Mail.

Sent from my iPad using Mac Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.