Yosemite Battery?

Reaction score
So I just upgraded my 2012 Macbook Pro to the new Yosemite operating system and when I charge my mac, the whole computer goes into a standby mode. I usually charge my mac overnight and when I wake up to unplug it, I hear the motor or something come on (sorry not good with technical terms). Then when I open the mac, I have to use the power button for it to turn on rather than just hitting any key. Is this new to the operating system because my mac hasn't done this before and I just want to make sure it's normal. Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No, that's not right. The first thing I would try is to do a PRAM reset. Shut the machine down (turn it off). Turn it back on and immediately press and hold Command + Option + P + R

Continue holding until you hear the machine chime three times, then release. The computer should boot as normal. If after that, the problem continues, we'll need to do some more in-depth troubleshooting.

OP
P
Reaction score
No, that's not right. The first thing I would try is to do a PRAM reset. Shut the machine down (turn it off). Turn it back on and immediately press and hold Command + Option + P + R

Continue holding until you hear the machine chime three times, then release. The computer should boot as normal. If after that, the problem continues, we'll need to do some more in-depth troubleshooting.

Thanks for your help. Sadly it didn't work. I don't understand why the whole mac "shuts down" when it becomes fully charged, although it doesn't fully shut down.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for your help. Sadly it didn't work. I don't understand why the whole mac "shuts down" when it becomes fully charged, although it doesn't fully shut down.

The "power logic" is not working right. Try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) to see if that gets your MBP back on track. If it doesn't work, you may need to let Apple look at it.

How to reset the SMC: Apple KB Link

OP
P
Reaction score
The "power logic" is not working right. Try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) to see if that gets your MBP back on track. If it doesn't work, you may need to let Apple look at it.

How to reset the SMC: Apple KB Link

Still doesn't seem to work. I ran a test and my mac didn't find any problems. I'll probably go into the apple store after the holiday season is done. I forgot to mention that I replaced my battery in June, so maybe it's acting up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Apple store, so if the battery is the issue, then I'm still covered for a year ;D

You had better double check that. A replacement battery from Apple when your machine is no longer covered by Apple Care is warranted for 90 days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
So I just upgraded my 2012 Macbook Pro to the new Yosemite operating system and when I charge my mac, the whole computer goes into a standby mode. I usually charge my mac overnight and when I wake up to unplug it, I hear the motor or something come on (sorry not good with technical terms). Then when I open the mac, I have to use the power button for it to turn on rather than just hitting any key. Is this new to the operating system because my mac hasn't done this before and I just want to make sure it's normal. Thanks

My MBA did something similar right before the logic board died. You might want to make the trip to Apple sooner rather than later. If the logic board goes your computer is not usable.

OP
P
Reaction score
My MBA did something similar right before the logic board died. You might want to make the trip to Apple sooner rather than later. If the logic board goes your computer is not usable.

Thanks. I took it to the Apple store and they replaced that and my battery again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.