Yosemite and battery life.

Reaction score
Late 2011 Macbook Pro. 2.4 GHz intel core i5.

Running Mavericks, I could go 9+ hours on a full battery. Since updating to Yosemite, I can't go 3 hours. Anything I can try before I revert to Mavericks?

I apologize if this has been discussed. I tried to search but couldn't figure out how.

M

MacInWin

Probably hasn't been discussed since most folks' results are the opposite. So, there is something in your setup that's eating battery. Open Activity Monitor, go to the Energy tab and see what's consuming power.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think the issue might lay in the types of applications that you're using. Although I've noticed degraded battery life with Yosemite, the issue for most tends to be the types of applications that people are using. What kinds of apps do you use on a regular basis?

OP
P
Reaction score
Garageband, mainly, but I'm always plugged into the wall when I use it. I notice the issue when I'm just browsing the net. I have a lot of down time at work, and a single charge used to get me through a whole day, with room to spare. Now, I'm lucky if I make it until 1:00.

Here's my activity monitor energy tab. None of this means anything to me.

Activity.jpg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Other than installation of Yosemite is there anything different about the system / way you're using the computer? Different programs open? More extensive use of wi-fi /bluetooth?

M

MacInWin

Brightness settings for the screen? That's the number one battery hog in most machines. From the picture, nothing software seems to eating battery. How old is the battery (is it the original one, have you had a lot of power cycles on it)? They do decay over time.

OP
P
Reaction score
Brightness settings for the screen? That's the number one battery hog in most machines. From the picture, nothing software seems to eating battery. How old is the battery (is it the original one, have you had a lot of power cycles on it)? They do decay over time.

Brightness is on "5 blocks." I keep the keyboard backlight off unless I need it. It is the original battery, it could just be starting to go, I suppose. Just seems weird that it started after I updated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.