yet another problem

Reaction score
ok, my freaking iMac is really getting me angry lately. first the fans make a hi pitch whistling noise, and the now the screen is going dark. :mad:
its started in the left bottom corner, now if the whole lleft side of the display. (see attatchment). now i have been on the apple chat for this twice, and on teh phone once, and apple support sucks so much. i've tried all their methods like 3 times and nothing. what can i do about this! has anyone had the same problem??? how can i fix this? it's really getting me mad and is now my LAST apple product. so when this imac is dead, bye bye mac. oh yeah, and ive tried resetting the pram, nvram, calibration in system preferences, apple hardware test.... anything else ??? i dont think i can get a new one, because i put new ram in and broke a screw at the bottom and they will think it messed the screen up myself. and i cant get it repaired (live in canada) . no repair shops here. any suggestions?

000_0511.JPG

J

Jefe3223

Welp, that's one messed up screen. Sounds like the there's some slight pressure against the back or the screen or that there's just something wrong that's unexplainable. I think you just have a bad computer. I don't know what to suggest... well, if you're going to give up on it once and for all, the last ditch effort is to take it apart and go through the entire thing with a fine tooth comb. couldn't hurt, eh? I'm sorry your experiences have been so bad and that I don't have any better advice.

Reaction score
The LCD panel on the G5 iMac is supposed to be user serviceable, I bet a replacement isn't cheap though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
that is bad, how'd you break the above mentioned screw? and I have a question. if you take a screenshot, does it show the screen problem in the image? also, has your imac been exposed to extreme temperatures? take a look at this:http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86815. and just in case, are there any magnetic, or electromagnetic objects near your imac? speakers maybe?

K

Kokopelli

How did you break the screw? If it is removable then get a replacement and send it in.

It you torqued a screw hard enough to shear the head it is possible you did do the damage. Unlikely but possible enough that you are right, Apple will probably balk but it might be worth a try to send it in.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
well i dont know if i broke the screw, it just doesnt seal up the iMac... like i screw it in but it dosen't screw in to anything. and i have nothing that you said macman. the only magnetic thing i can think of is the speakers inside. and where can i send it back? will apple give me an adrress. does it cost anything to ship back?

i reinstalled os x and it went down a little bit, but is still a pain, and is noticable.

thanks!

M

MickMAC

Make a stink on the phone and talk to the highest level person you can, don't take no for an answer.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
i think ill do that... if it gets worse..im only 14, so i cant probably do much on the phone with them. but i will if i can. my screen is getting much better! ill take a picture be right back

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
hm, camera batteries are dead, but its working good now. i just wont sleep or turn off my computer for ever... and it will be fine.

F

flyingpostman

There are repair shops in Canada. Apple Canada in Markham is one, plus there are many independant repair shops that are Apple Authorized.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
the apple phone support person said the closest repair shop was in michigan

Z

zakatov

Quit *****in at Apple, u got a bad LCD display, Apple doesn't make those. Haul it into any repair shop, they'll fix it

I

iDVFH.

I thought self RAM installation is ok'd by Apple..If you have AppleCare get it fixed. Apple isn't perfect, maybe the computer was just an overall bad one straight from the factory.

EDIT: Don't know if Apple iMac's and monitors have this but is there something called DEGAUGE (sorry if I spelt it wrong cause I think I did) magnets can screw your monitor bad and that corrects many problems with that..LCD's might not even have it. Ah I'm 16 I don't know much but you never know :miner: lol

Z

zakatov

iDVFH. said:
EDIT: Don't know if Apple iMac's and monitors have this but is there something called DEGAUGE (sorry if I spelt it wrong cause I think I did) magnets can screw your monitor bad and that corrects many problems with that..LCD's might not even have it. Ah I'm 16 I don't know much but you never know :miner: lol

The word is Degauss, and LCD monitors do not need Degaussing because they do not operate with magnetic fields, thus "magnets" will have no effect on his iMac's LCD

I

iDVFH.

MickMAC said:
Make a stink on the phone and talk to the highest level person you can, don't take no for an answer.

I find talking to Apple hard to do that..especially at a young age..They don't take you seriously and their tone of voice doesn't go over normal. Thus yelling at them makes it harder cause there not yelling back. FedEx on the other hand go on my bad side while delivering my laptop. Some snotty girl was on the phone and me and her got into a verbal brawl..set her straight :)

E

Echo_

its called backlight bleeding.

its when the light behind the lcd screen is faulty (its suppose to light it up evenly)

Reaction score
Echo_ said:
its called backlight bleeding.

its when the light behind the lcd screen is faulty (its suppose to light it up evenly)

That backlight is part of the LCD panel, correct?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.