Xserve problem

D

drinking12many

Hi all.. Im a fairly new mac admin so I have mostly been relying on my windows and slight unix knowedge on this problem. I have a g4 server and i was having a hostname problem so i changed the hostname to the correct name. then my samba server, server admin, workgroup manager all stopped working. I can ping the loop back and connect remotely but these dont work any ideas??? thanks

OP
F

flonejek

try adding a second hostname entry in /etc/hosts with the origial incorrect name, then both names will resolve to the same IP address, and all the other stuff should start working. If you're not lazy go through the config files and replace all occurences of original incorrect hostname too new correct one.

OP
D

drinking12many

flonejek said:
try adding a second hostname entry in /etc/hosts with the origial incorrect name, then both names will resolve to the same IP address, and all the other stuff should start working. If you're not lazy go through the config files and replace all occurences of original incorrect hostname too new correct one.

the inorrect name was just localhost. it still pings itself if i type ping localhost or its real hostname. its almost like some dependant service isnt running. but as far as i can tell in process viewer they all are

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.