Xserve 3,1 (2009)

Reaction score
Does anyone actually have one and running? I want to discuss mods and/or upgrades. I'm a little disheartened that no one responded to another post I made so I'm going to believe I'm working on a piece of hardware no one uses or cares about.

I want a better video card. I've heard there are 1GB nvidia GT 120 cards that work, but I would like something better.

If not, I am fine using it to run my Windows Server 2019 DC as a VM on it, and a minecraft server. But I was hoping to get more out of it.

Paul

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Very very very very very very (is that enough);)...few consumer users (average home or business user...the primary user group here on Mac-Forums) would have ever owned one of these...and may not even know what one would look like...let alone have one...and have suggestions what to do with it.

But...an XServe 3,1 is basically very similar to a 2009 8-core Mac Pro...so maybe the more main stream question would be...what to do with a 2009 8-Core Mac Pro?:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Does anyone actually have one and running? I want to discuss mods and/or upgrades. I'm a little disheartened that no one responded to another post I made so I'm going to believe I'm working on a piece of hardware no one uses or cares about.

I want a better video card. I've heard there are 1GB nvidia GT 120 cards that work, but I would like something better.

If not, I am fine using it to run my Windows Server 2019 DC as a VM on it, and a minecraft server. But I was hoping to get more out of it.
Paul
So it's spring break where I am and I wanted to build a minecraft server for the kids.

(I have done sys admin for years but i have never used this app before.)

So I created a Ubuntu 20.04 server loaded, Bedrock server on to it.

I can now log in and play with my kids but now they want to open the server to the outside world so they can play with their cousins and friends.

is there any guides out there on how to securely setup the server? I don't want people to join that are not people we know, as well as me being the i think the term is OP so people can't change gamemodes on my kids.

Any help with this would greatly be appreciated!!!

Reaction score
So it's spring break where I am and I wanted to build a minecraft server for the kids.

(I have done sys admin for years but i have never used this app before.)

So I created a Ubuntu 20.04 server loaded, Bedrock server on to it.

I can now log in and play with my kids but now they want to open the server to the outside world so they can play with their cousins and friends.

is there any guides out there on how to securely setup the server? I don't want people to join that are not people we know, as well as me being the i think the term is OP so people can't change gamemodes on my kids.

Any help with this would greatly be appreciated!!!
no response

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As stated, not many folks around here have experience this machine, we have experience with the consumer level devices. So you might want to look into other user groups that are catering to the older Macs.

Reaction score
As stated, not many folks around here have experience this machine, we have experience with the consumer level devices. So you might want to look into other user groups that are catering to the older Macs.
thank you for your suggestion

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would have responded earlier...but I'm not familiar with Ubuntu server or Minecraft Bedrock server. All I know is that an Xserve 3,1 is very similar to a 2009 desktop Mac Pro. And if what you would like to do can be done with an 2009 Mac Pro...it can also be done on an Xserve 3,1.:)

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I would have responded earlier...

It is a bit interesting in that such an old thread wood surface again with a thank you note today.

Not many consumers would have used such machines I would have thought and interesting that a 2009 Mac Pro could duplicate what the server machine could do.

I wonder if many are still in use???

- Patrick
=======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's what one of the Xserve models look like:
Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 9.40.00 PM.png
As can be seen they are very flat...and designed to be rack mountable.

Compared to a Mac Pro of the same vintage...they have similar max RAM, CPU cores, CPU performance, and optical drive. Biggest differences from a Mac Pro is they have a "very weak" video card (just enough for occasional hookup to a display for diagnostic & maintenance purposes). Usually they would be run "headless" (no display).

Xserve's are definitely built for purposes that mainly involve CPU processes...not GPU purposes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Xserve's are definitely built for purposes that mainly involve CPU processes...not GPU purposes.

Didn't some University or institution somewhere use a stack of those Apple servers all connected together to create the fastest computer in the world at the time???

I guess I could try Googling, but just thought somebody might know or remember off the top of their heads...

Maybe it's still in use for all I know... as all it had to do was make a few billion calculations per second or something crazy fast...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Didn't some University or institution somewhere use a stack of those Apple servers all connected together to create the fastest computer in the world at the time???

I guess I could try Googling, but just thought somebody might know or remember off the top of their heads...

Maybe it's still in use for all I know... as all it had to do was make a few billion calculations per second or something crazy fast Vapes n Smokes...

- Patrick
=======
and also thank you for your suggestion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and also thank you for your suggestion

Did you have any success with your gamesvideas and the old server Mac???

Interesting challenge but I have zero knowledge about games and requirements, but just a bit of curiosity as to how you are advancing or managing.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.