XPlane 11 Requirements

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) macOS 10.14, 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM
Current System: iMac (27-inch, late 2013), 3.2GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB
Would like to run XPlane 11. Retired AF pilot and use to use Microsoft's Flight Sim. Not looking do anything fancy, just fly a C-172 or other single engine piston around country side, shoot some approaches, etc. No fighter dog fights or fancy airline stuff. Basic stick and rudder stuff.
All of that said:
- Will my current system support XPlane 11 with good resolution on aircraft, cockpit, and outside views?
- Cannot seem to find a good MAC compatible flight sim stick or hands on stick and throttle set up. Is there one out there? Thunderforce?? seems to have good one, but PC only.
Any thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Regarding flight sim stick, I meant "Thrustmaster" and not "Thunderforce". Did I mention 'old' retired USAF pilot..???��

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have the same machine as yours and have done some research about running either X-Plane or Flight Simulator. I believe the conclusion I came to is that they will both work but the frame rate would be unacceptable especially that of X-Plane. The problem with your machine and mine is the graphics. Just not enough juice in that graphics card to adequately run either simulator. The scenery would be grainy and the aircraft movement choppy.

As an aside, I have an older version of MS Flight Simulator that I ran on a Windows machine some years ago and it ran well. The newer versions of both simulators have upped the ante.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought as much. Just wish Apple would have capability to upgrade graphics cards.
If someone knows how to do an upgrade on my existing machine, would appreciate an input.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If someone knows how to do an upgrade on my existing machine, would appreciate an input.

That's easy. Just sell your current machine and buy a new top of the line iMac with more powerful graphics. Of course you would be spending around $3000.00! ;D As far as upgrading your iMac, forget it. They're glued together and are not designed to be upgraded. About the only upgrade you can easily do is add more memory and that won't help run FS or X-Plane.

Reaction score
I haven't had any problems running 10 on my 21in 2012 imac. I suppose 11 has a greater minimum requirement. It's not the best graphics in the world but it's flyable. At one point i was using an external monitor running XHSI instruments and instructor maps. I use Saitec sticks, they work pretty good. Haven't gotten around to getting rudder pedals yet though I have found some good DYI pedal instructions online.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.