X11/Emacs constantly stealing focus, driving me crazy

Reaction score
Hi all, first post here. I've searched for a problem like this and I didn't find much.

I often use my MacBook (running OSX 10.5.4) to ssh into my department (Linux) to work. I use Spaces and have X11 in the same space as my terminal, but my other apps (Firefox, Mail etc.) run in other spaces.

Whenever I have a remote emacs window open in X11, I find that X11 steals focus (and changes the active space to its space) quite often. I can sometimes go 15 minutes between incidents, but once it happens it tends to happen several times in a row (within seconds of one another).

This is driving me crazy because it happens so frequently, and I can't seem to figure out why it's doing it. My guess is that it's something involved with X11 keeping a persistent connection to emacs, but I really have no idea. I definitely don't think it's the auto-save feature of emacs, because it happens whether or not I have just saved whatever document I was working on in emacs.

Does anyone know how I can stop this? I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Reaction score
this drove me crazy too. I think I fixed it. from an X11 window:

bash-3.2$ defaults write org.x.X11 wm_ffm 1

you may also have to set wm_focus_on_new_window; to see all the defaults, do a

bash-3.2$ defaults read org.x.X11

hth,

(EDIT: I had the syntax reversed: 'read' or 'write' has to come before the domain...)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.