• Mac-Forums.com will not in any way, shape, or form be held liable for anything that happens in this forum. It is up to you to make a sound decision on whether to buy or sell to someone here. This forum is only provided as a convenience for our memebers.

Use of this forum is at your own risk.

For further information on protecting yourself in online transactions, please visit the usa.gov-online-safety website.

A few things to keep in mind:

• This forum is use at your own risk
    • The moderators and staff of this forum will have nothing to do with private transactions. Use common sense!
    • Flaming and personal attacks are prohibited and you could be banned without warning for participating in such things.
    • This forum will only be visible by members
    • The most basic rule is USE YOUR COMMON SENSE!!
    • Our forum rules prohibit the discussion of Hackintoshes, this includes the sale of such machines. Any thread advertising a Hackintosh for sale will be deleted and punitive actions may be taken.

Note: Only users with enough posts, an adequate period of time as a member here, and in good reputation standing are able to post in this forum.

WTB an iBook G3 Dual USB or something...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I am looking for a cheap iBook. I had the 466MHz clamshell and didn't like it as much as I hoped. I want something cheap I can just mess around with. I'd be better to find a working one so I am not dumping money into it. DVD combo is a must, 14" would be a luxury but I'm hoping. I'd rather take a G4, I think my cuz has a G4 800MHz and I'd like something like that.
Anyone know what I'd expect to pay and/ or can anyone hook a brother up?
Peace,
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
i would think youre gonna spend at leasttttttt 500 bucks for a snow G3 or G4 ibook, and thats probably about the 500 mhz G3 area. as the processor speed goes up, so does the price.

Reaction score
i would think youre gonna spend at leasttttttt 500 bucks for a snow G3 or G4 ibook, and thats probably about the 500 mhz G3 area. as the processor speed goes up, so does the price.

Well thats not really true, check eBay, and things should be cheaper here without fees.

I got a G3 800mhz for $285, DVD, MS Office and Photoshop with a real good battery (around 3.5-4 hours)..

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I expect $250ish. I am on eBay daily I don't really care to buy an older laptop from there yet...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
you could get great deal on here but it is riskier than ebay. I got my ibook g4 1.33ghz (see specs) for $700. It is a good little guy, upgraded to 1.25gb ram a few weeks ago, runs great.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's only going to be for internet browsing and maybe movie watching. I have my iMac to do everything else except be portable. I can get by with 800MHz or so. If I were to spend, I could find a Macbook for $800 these days, but I am looking to spend $250- $300 and spending some on a HD and max RAM.
Peace,
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
i bought a 900mhz g3 ibook as well for $300. You will have better luck on ebay.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I picked up a G4 14" 1.2GHz iBook that needs a little work for $400 on eBay. Thanks for your advise. I hope it works out! If not, resell!!!

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
I picked up a G4 14" 1.2GHz iBook that needs a little work for $400 on eBay. Thanks for your advise. I hope it works out! If not, resell!!!

Depends on the video problem - is it a broken screen or does it display nothing at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3|800Mhz|256MB Ram|ComboDrive|30GB HD|
i got my non-working ibook(specs in sig) for $50, than i invested $150 in Panther, a a/c adapter and ram, and now its perfectly running.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depends on the video problem - is it a broken screen or does it display nothing at all?

Only the top half of the screen displays an image. He said it wasn't dropped, it just got jolted quickly. Maybe a wire is disconnected? It still exports to the monitor cleanly. And the LCD was fine before the jolt. I would assume a new monitor is all it needs. I would think I could put $200 into it and still make a profit on it if I decide to resell it. I haven't kept a Mac laptop yet and have had 2- Clamshell iBooks, 5- G3 Powerbooks and a 2GHz Macbook, all of which I've fixed & resold for profit. Except for the Macbook which I bought refurbished and resold at $50 less than what I paid.

Well see what the deal is when I get it later this week (hopefully.)

Bryan

Reaction score
Sounds like the cable that runs up the back of the lcd got canted out by the jolt (so that only half is still making contact and sending the signal). They don't come any easier than taking out 8 screws and sliding a cable back into place!

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's my thought. And for $410 with shipping is a kickin deal.

Reaction score
That's my thought. And for $410 with shipping is a kickin deal.

Yeah, you should be able to turn it for $650.

(hey, did you just buy a spudger from me?)

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, you should be able to turn it for $650.

(hey, did you just buy a spudger from me?)

I did! I've been using a set of mini screw drivers for the longest time and tired of the little marks it leaves in the plastic, so I figured the $5 is well worth it!

Plus, I was thinking of modding the case and removing the white paint and spraying it black, so one of those spudgers will really come in handy!

Bryan

Reaction score
I did! I've been using a set of mini screw drivers for the longest time and tired of the little marks it leaves in the plastic, so I figured the $5 is well worth it!

Plus, I was thinking of modding the case and removing the white paint and spraying it black, so one of those spudgers will really come in handy!

Bryan

Cool. It's on it's way with today's mail. Yeah, once you use one, you'll wonder how you did it without :dive: .

Painting is fun - make sure to sand them well, use a plastic paint for at least the first coat, and put 3-4 coats of clear on top. I found that if I skip any of those step, I end up with flakeage within a couple of months.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to know. I'd hate to get that stuff jammed up in the fan or melt to hot pieces.
Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.