Wrong file permissions in the iCloud folder

Reaction score
Hello,

I found out that the files in the iCloud folder can be read by everyone in the OS, I mean every user, I don't think it's normal at all.
Not even if the laptop was only used by me it ca be considered right, do you agree?

MacOS latest version, M1 architecture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, if you give someone access to your Mac (logged in), they can see all of your files. If your account is not logged in and available, then others can not see your files.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes, if you give someone access to your Mac (logged in), they can see all of your files. If your account is not logged in and available, then others can not see your files.
Thanks, but this is not normal at all, these users are not admins, or not fully admins, it's a bit complicated to explain.

So, I would expect that my user has access to only his files, same for the other users, I see it as a critical security matter.
I'll report this to Apple unless I find some justification from anyone here.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How are you accessing the iCloud folder belonging to one user from another?

OP
G
Reaction score
How are you accessing the iCloud folder belonging to one user from another?
With the correct permissions, you can simply do it from the Finder I guess (if you are allowed to see ALL the previous folders), but the terminal is the one I used...
In any case, just having the absolute path and copying that to the Finder is enough, but I didn't find a way to do it like I'd do with Windows in File Explorer.

The point is that the permissions are terribly wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Who set up the device?

Admin user accounts can change permissions. If you don't want other to see your files (data) change the permissions. Also change the other user accounts to "standard" accounts then they will not have access to your data.

Thanks, but this is not normal at all, these users are not admins, or not fully admins, it's a bit complicated to explain.
Try to explain it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Who set up the device?

Admin user accounts can change permissions. If you don't want other to see your files (data) change the permissions. Also change the other user accounts to "standard" accounts then they will not have access to your data.

Try to explain it.
The device was set from scratch by me, and it came straight from Apple. I formatted it several times initially for other reasons, so it should be pretty genuine :D .

My STANDARD user is not even part of the sudoers file, but it doesn't matter, by default, USERS should not get access to files under OTHERS (so called other STANDARD users in this case).

Make a quick test:
ls -alhrt /Users/$USER/Library/Mobile\ Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/ (here you find your iCloud Drive files)
ls -alhrt /Users/$USER/Library/Mobile\ Documents/

Please post your result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
My STANDARD user is not even part of the sudoers file, but it doesn't matter, by default, USERS should not get access to files under OTHERS (so called other STANDARD users in this case).

Maybe you might find some interesting and maybe helpful information here that might help you alleviate your icloud's file/folder permissions concerns:

- Patrick
=======

OP
G
Reaction score
Maybe you might find some interesting and maybe helpful information here that might help you alleviate your icloud's file/folder permissions concerns:

- Patrick
=======
Thanks.
Unfortunately this thread is about file system permission issues by default, not how to share the iCloud Drive folders, which it was interesting to see that I can do it also outside the website, that is, from Finder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.