Wow, I bleeping hate my computer!!

Reaction score
I have been fighting a battle to the death with it for months now and I am highly frustrated. I want to be able to dual boot Kali Linux on my 2006 MBP 2,2, and I am having all kinds of problems. What happens is, when I try and boot from Kali on a CD or USB stick, it just gives me this black screen that says Non system disk, press any key to continue. And then when I press any key to continue, it doesn't do anything, and I have to reboot. I tried using both rEFIt and rEFInd to solve the problem, but it did the same thing whether I used the built in boot manager or something else. Only it gave me a slightly different error - when I tried to boot from rEFIt it gave me a screen that looked like this:

Select CD-ROM boot type:

And then it wouldn't let me type or do anything and I had to reboot. What the %$^$^%#$^ is up with that? I have no idea how to fix this, I have used up incredible amounts of my bandwidth Googling it, with no luck.

So that's problem number 0. Now problem number 1.....

Recently, my Mac has become infected with a virus. I am quite certain that I am indeed infected - my system has been pretty glitchy for a while, but then today everything pretty much stopped working. I mean literally everything - I wasn't able to copy paste, I wasn't able to keep applications open, 80 percent of my CPU was in use, there was a three second delay to do anything, there were these random glitches in the user interface, and it wouldn't even let me take a screenshot of the craziness.

I don't want to risk trying to get rid of the virus and then still have it linger, I just want to format my disk completely and install Linux, I am kind of sick of OSX honestly. I also want to reinstall the firmware, if that is possible, I don't want the virus surviving in my bootloader. The firmware is EFI in my case, I have an Intel Mac.

So what I am about to say is probably going to sound incredibly dumb, but I just formatted my boot volume HFS+ in an effort to eradicate the virus. Did I just irreparably damage my system? I am still able to boot into OSX, thankfully, but that's not the point, is it? I need working firmware that will boot from a Kali Linux install disk so that I can reinstall the OS!!

As you can see, I am totally lost right now, I don't know what on earth I am doing, I am a total n00b at this. Any ideas on what to do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

I'll be brief...

You don't have and didn't have a virus since there are none in the wild that can infect your Mac. It's possible you may have had some form of malware?

Trying to setup a dual boot with Linux can be tricky. Some folks do it using Boot Camp, others use various methods which may include rEFIt or rEFInd. Keep in mind that GRUB will overwrite your OS X boot loader if you're not careful. My advice is go to the Kali or Ubuntu forums and look up dual booting with OS X.

OP
S
Reaction score

I'll be brief...

You don't have and didn't have a virus since there are none in the wild that can infect your Mac. It's possible you may have had some form of malware?

Trying to setup a dual boot with Linux can be tricky. Some folks do it using Boot Camp, others use various methods which may include rEFIt or rEFInd. Keep in mind that GRUB will overwrite your OS X boot loader if you're not careful. My advice is go to the Kali or Ubuntu forums and look up dual booting with OS X.

I have indeed done that, I've tried literally ten different tutorials for dual booting Linux, but they all say the same thing, to burn the Kali .iso image to an external disk and then boot from it, and I can't boot from an external disk!! ***!!

Reaction score
Ok i can help you with this easy:

your 2006 macbook was never designed to run bootcamp in fact apple even warns people that all though you can run it due to the fact it was unstable and unreliable on the 2006 iMac and macbook it was never supported from apple and they released a warning saying its as is it will work or won't work.

I do take it you have a core 2 duo or the core duo macbook correct i can help you with a alternative you might not like it but you can run linux mint on the 2006 macbook in question you need to make sure of three key things.

1. you have 4 gig's of ram linux requires 2 gig's just to install.

2. make sure you have refit removed in order to do this you have to however reformat the entire drive

3.please understand wifi may not function this is a problem in linux

Tutorial: How to install linux on mac.

1. get your latest installer of linux

Macbook 2006 and higher

linux mint

ubuntu

yellow dog

these are the only ones that have mac support and good support at that.

2. you will need a mac os x installer dvd disk snow leopard leopard doesn't matter

How to install:

burn your linux disk

insert your mac os x dvd disk boot from the disk by selecting apple menu system pref and startup disk

select the mac os x dvd icon

boot the installer for mac os x

go into utilites disk utility once the installer boots from the upper menu on your screen

select your hard drive

select format as ms-dos fat once done restart the mac hold the eject button on your keyboard and eject the mac os x dvd disk.

still following ok here we go

insert the linux disk

press and hold option select the linux disk and wait for it to boot install as usual the macbook will never boot mac os x again linux only will boot if you want to go back reverse the processes run mac os x dvd format drive as mac os x extended and install mac os x

M

MacInWin

Will the Kali disk boot in any other machine? When you open it in Finder, what is on the Kali disk, the .iso file or the files in the .iso? I've had occasions where I THOUGHT I burned the iso to the disk, but in fact had just burned the .iso file onto the disk. Two different things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display

I 2nd this. While I have never used Kali, Ubuntu has detailed instructions on how to set it up in many various forms. There is also a installer that will let you install Ubuntu like a program and dual boot to it with out the chance of damaging your boot loader.

C

chas_m

I'm still trying to understand why a problem with a third-party OS install would cause one to "hate" one's computer. From what I've read thus far, the computer isn't at fault and continues to run as designed.

OP
S
Reaction score
Will the Kali disk boot in any other machine? When you open it in Finder, what is on the Kali disk, the .iso file or the files in the .iso? I've had occasions where I THOUGHT I burned the iso to the disk, but in fact had just burned the .iso file onto the disk. Two different things.

Yes, I did indeed burn it as an image, not as files. I don't know if it will boot on any other machine since this is the only computer I have.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok i can help you with this easy:

your 2006 macbook was never designed to run bootcamp in fact apple even warns people that all though you can run it due to the fact it was unstable and unreliable on the 2006 iMac and macbook it was never supported from apple and they released a warning saying its as is it will work or won't work.

I do take it you have a core 2 duo or the core duo macbook correct i can help you with a alternative you might not like it but you can run linux mint on the 2006 macbook in question you need to make sure of three key things.

1. you have 4 gig's of ram linux requires 2 gig's just to install.

2. make sure you have refit removed in order to do this you have to however reformat the entire drive

3.please understand wifi may not function this is a problem in linux

Tutorial: How to install linux on mac.

1. get your latest installer of linux

Macbook 2006 and higher

linux mint

ubuntu

yellow dog

these are the only ones that have mac support and good support at that.

2. you will need a mac os x installer dvd disk snow leopard leopard doesn't matter

How to install:

burn your linux disk

insert your mac os x dvd disk boot from the disk by selecting apple menu system pref and startup disk

select the mac os x dvd icon

boot the installer for mac os x

go into utilites disk utility once the installer boots from the upper menu on your screen

select your hard drive

select format as ms-dos fat once done restart the mac hold the eject button on your keyboard and eject the mac os x dvd disk.

still following ok here we go

insert the linux disk

press and hold option select the linux disk and wait for it to boot install as usual the macbook will never boot mac os x again linux only will boot if you want to go back reverse the processes run mac os x dvd format drive as mac os x extended and install mac os x

Thank you for the tutorial, this is quite helpful. However, you are right when you said I might not like it - I really need the wifi to work, it's not at all practical for me to run an Ethernet cable all the way through the house just so I can get internet. I don't know though, maybe I'll try it just because nothing else will work for me. I don't really mind wiping everything off my disk if it's infected.

M

MacInWin

So what is on the disk is a file with the extension .iso, but what you need is for that image, what's in the .iso, to be on the disk instead. That's why it won't boot, no files! So do a search on how to burn an iso onto a disk and follow those instructions. Here is what Ubuntu says to do, I suspect the same approach will work for Kali.

OP
S
Reaction score
So what is on the disk is a file with the extension .iso, but what you need is for that image, what's in the .iso, to be on the disk instead. That's why it won't boot, no files! So do a search on how to burn an iso onto a disk and follow those instructions. Here is what Ubuntu says to do, I suspect the same approach will work for Kali.

***?! I swear that I was supposed to burn the image not the files.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, what the ****, I'll try it. Burning the disk right now, I'll let you know what happens in a while.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, it was as I expected, it gave me the same select CD-ROM boot type error this time around. *sigh*

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, next problem..... It won't let me bless the OSX install DVD, when I go to Startup Disk in System Preferences the DVD is grayed out. So then I tried to do it from the command line.

Code:
root@yourbox:/ # sudo bless --device "Mac OS X Install DVD"
Password:
root@yourbox:/ # bless --getBoot
/dev/disk0s2
root@yourbox:/ # diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk0
   1:                  Apple_HFS                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            99.0 GB    disk0s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS disk0s3                 20.6 GB    disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     Apple_partition_scheme                        *8.4 GB     disk1
   1:        Apple_partition_map                         30.7 KB    disk1s1
   2:         Apple_Driver_ATAPI                         637.1 MB   disk1s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS Mac OS X Install DVD    7.8 GB     disk1s3
root@yourbox:/ #

?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Okay tell us abour your DVD. Silver grey model specific or black full retail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Well, it was as I expected, it gave me the same select CD-ROM boot type error this time around. *sigh*

Have you followed these instructions here yet?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/AppleIntelInstallation

If your burning the disc and the penguin isn't showing up, then its likely your burning the ISO to the disc as a file and not as an image. Download BURN from here: http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/

Then burn the image from this screen (the COPY screen):

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 11.07.05 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A few, ranging from an SE/30 to a recent MacBook Pro. Also, a Newton MP130, and some SGIs for kicks.

I do take it you have a core 2 duo or the core duo macbook correct

The first line of the original post said he had a MacBookPro2,2, which is Core2 and which officially supports Boot Camp, just not the latest versions of Boot Camp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.