Work around for Book App?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Am I the only one who hates the update to Books in 16.1.2? Feels like WIndoze! Is there a work around for turning pages as they were before? The lack of page turns is literally giving me a headache and I can't read books on my phone anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You can set it for constant scroll, or pages. Tap the page with a book open. At the bottom right is a symbol with two lines and three dots. Tap that. Then tap "Themes & Settings." There is a small icon that looks like a page of text. Beside the page is either a sliding bar, or just a short line. The sliding bar is continuous, the bar is pages.

HTH.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm of the opinion that the only real workaround for Apple Books is to use a different app. Ever since Apple carved up iTunes into seperate apps Books has become a second rate media player for both audio and written data.
My wife continues to "soldier on" with Books for talking books despite the loss of all editing tools once afforded by iTunes and syncing problems with data not directly obtained from Apple. The alternative is a paid subscription to Audible, Libby, Scribd or similar when everything she needs is provided free by our local library in Australia.
As for reading books most of our friends have given up and returned to Kindle or Kobo or similar.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can set it for constant scroll, or pages. Tap the page with a book open. At the bottom right is a symbol with two lines and three dots. Tap that. Then tap "Themes & Settings." There is a small icon that looks like a page of text. Beside the page is either a sliding bar, or just a short line. The sliding bar is continuous, the bar is pages.

HTH.
Thanks Jake, but I'm looking to make the pages actually turn like they did before when you could pull the page, not tap to change or scrolling down forever.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm of the opinion that the only real workaround for Apple Books is to use a different app. Ever since Apple carved up iTunes into seperate apps Books has become a second rate media player for both audio and written data.
My wife continues to "soldier on" with Books for talking books despite the loss of all editing tools once afforded by iTunes and syncing problems with data not directly obtained from Apple. The alternative is a paid subscription to Audible, Libby, Scribd or similar when everything she needs is provided free by our local library in Australia.
As for reading books most of our friends have given up and returned to Kindle or Kobo or similar.
I've kept my iPad on iOS 14.7 so Books still works on that, but oftentimes, especially when I'm out and about, I like to read on my phone. No more - I can't stand not being able to manually turn a page like before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Thanks Jake, but I'm looking to make the pages actually turn like they did before when you could pull the page, not tap to change or scrolling down forever.
Well, I guess you can't use the iPhone to read anymore. Sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.