Word opens up almost very document

Reaction score
I'm a teacher and I have a Pro that was issued through my local school system. Today, when I tried to open up a new Word document, Word opened up every document I have worked on in the past month. It's not like it opened them up so that I could close them again, but it opened them up so fast that it looked like a slideshow, one on top of the other.

I always close out my documents whenever I put it in "Sleep" mode, etc., so I'm confused. I'm unable to close the documents at all, and can't force quit Word. This is a major problem because I can't open up any new Word documents at all, which is something I have to be able to do everyday for school. Any suggestions?

Thanks all,

Abbey

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We need more information: What version of Word? Which Mac do you have, year and model. And finally, what version of OS X are you running. Also... are you on a network accessing Word or is it from a stand alone Mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a new one on me. I've never seen Word act that way and I've been using Word since 1995 on Windows machines and now on Macs. I just went through all the things that could possibly cause multiple documents to open at once, and can not reproduce what you're experiencing.

If possible, force quit Word first. Then make sure you have all the latest updates installed and that you're not using any kind of anti virus software. Also make sure there are no macros running or anything in the Word startup folder. If everything looks OK and it's still doing the same thing, you'll likely need to reinstall Office 2011. Let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'm unable to close the documents at all, and can't force quit Word.

Since that's not an option, what about the plist file? Or is this too far out there to have any hope that would help?

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you both so much. I actually re-installed Office and it seemed to do the trick. This Mac has been acting strangely for a while, but our district has a shortage, so I want to make sure I can keep it instead of changing to a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Current version of Office 2011 is 14.4.5 so make sure you are up to date Abbey.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.