• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Woot, Tiger coming mid-April (maybe)

OP
C

code777

yup, the rumor mill has commenced as a guy i know that works at the apple store said the same thing. he also heard iMac G5's might get a boost as well next month. but this is all coming from the above so...

i don't know, i still think the PowerMac G5 has to be updated first before the iMac G5, yes??

OP
Z

zakatov

code777 said:
i don't know, i still think the PowerMac G5 has to be updated first before the iMac G5, yes??

YES! I'm waiting for PM update before I get Tiger, so they better do it sooner than later.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I hope nobody is going to pull an April Fool's, because I can't take anymore great rumors that aren't true.

OP
C

code777

iWhat said:
I hope nobody is going to pull an April Fool's, because I can't take anymore great rumors that aren't true.

ahhh hahaha, it is - april fools joke, its gotta be.

The article says, FRIDAY APRIL 1ST

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If I were Apple, I'd introduce Tiger on April 1 just to cause confusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I don't see much point in pulling an April fools joke a month and a half early. And Apple has a history of doing things in April:

http://www.macobserver.com/columns/thisweek/2004/20040410.shtml

Although you almost wonder if Apple is floating stories internally to try and catch the source of the leaks they've had recently.

April would be nice, and think secret usually does get most stuff at least partially correct. We'll see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
They probably do stuff in April because it sounds like Apple.

:p

OP
C

code777

well if Tiger comes out in April I'm there.

i wonder what the iMac G5 update will be, i mean they gotta upgrade the PM's first, it makes sense...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Think Secret is now reporting that the close to final build of Tiger was seeded today, that the sales force is having meetings about selling Tiger, that many of the development team have left on vacation, and that they've had at least one "wrap" party.

Looking like the April release is a go.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0503tiger8a414.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Kokopelli said:
Downloading the seed now...

EDIT: Never mind... RTFA

Well, I'm sure the new build will be on USENET or a BitTorrent site by now, but I've sworn of the piracy of my youth (karma and all that :yinyang: ). So could you give us an opinion on how finished this build is? That is within the confines of the NDR and rules of MacForums, could you let us know if it seems like it actually is close to gold now, or if this is just a bit of premature, um, prognosticating.

OP
K

Kokopelli

I am an ADC member. I do not pirate software, ever.... I will let you know once I have a chance to install. I am going to do a CCC of my primary drive so I can try upgrading a system which means it will have to wait till tonight though.

(The NDA precludes talking specifics on features or performance that are not public knowledge. That much is painfully clear. But general impressions seem to be allowed.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Kokopelli said:
I am an ADC member. I do not pirate software, ever.... I will let you know once I have a chance to install. I am going to do a CCC of my primary drive so I can try upgrading a system which means it will have to wait till tonight though.

(The NDA precludes talking specifics on features or performance that are not public knowledge. That much is painfully clear. But general impressions seem to be allowed.)

I know that, I wasn't implying that you were pirating. I was just saying I wasn't going to download it since I have no legal means to do so. Sorry if it didn't come out that way. Just wanted your impression on how far along it appears to be.

Thanks. :)

OP
K

Kokopelli

Sorry, I did not mean to get defensive.

I have had a chance to do an upgrade install and play with it for a few hours. It is making good progress and worth getting IMHO but.... If they release in early April I would expect a 10.4.1 by the end of May. There is still some odd behavior that I would not expect in something 14 days from release. Nothing major so far though, just little things.

I think an April 1 release would be fine for daily use but there will likely be "quirks" that a little more time would have ironed out. That is not unusual for x.0 releases nowadays though. Perhaps (skipping vulgarities) Apple decided it was time to get off the pot.

Now onto my very generic advice. I don't care what the program is or who made it, always be cautious around x.0 releases. Even x.1 releases should be treated with caution if your machine absolutely has to work all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yep.. I usually upgrade my OS when there is a .2 release, not before then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.