Wobbly unstable image on iPhone 11 camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
This occurred on my new iPhone and is now recurring on the refurbished replacement.

Is there a solution to this ? It seems like a common issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What does "Wobbly unstable" mean? Can you give us a bit more to go on? Do you mean the parallax effect on the icons where if you turn the screen to angle away the icons appear to move? If so, that can be changed in a setting under Accessibility > Motion.

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
I have a 2s video of the effect but trying to figure out how to post it. It's a .mov file.

It's like looking at a wobbling jelly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Wobbling jelly" still isn't very precise to me, sorry. And I don't think the board accepts video uploads. Can you just post a still screenshot of where you see the movement and maybe we can sort it out? Apple wanted to add depth to the screen, so they made the default screen dynamic, with the icons appearing to "float" above the background image. Some folks find that distracting, so they gave a way to turn it off, as I said. Have you tried the Accessibility setting to reduce motion to see if that stops what you are seeing?

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a still image of my living room, It looks blurred doesn't it ? Well if you can imagine the whole image wobbling - sorry I can't think of a better word- maybe 'rippling' would also describe it, then you have it.

Pity I can't show you a 2s video then you'd really see what's going on.

IMG_0434.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So it only happens when you are using the camera? And does the camera never take a proper picture? Try to be as specific as you can, please.

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No Jake the picture you see is as good as it gets - its rippling as you take it, consequently blurred.

If you ahve somewhere I can send a .mov file you'll see what I'm talking about. A video paints a thousand words.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This occurred on my new iPhone and is now recurring on the refurbished replacement.

Is there a solution to this ? It seems like a common issue.

I don't think it's a common issue. We have an iPhone 11 and it does not display those symptoms as you describe.

Instead of troubleshooting something which might be a hardware defect, you probably should contact Apple or whoever you purchased the phone from and get a replacement. It appears you have done that once. Maybe you need to do it again.

Also, there are sites where you can upload your video and then provide a link. Search for one in your area and send us the link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
See if you can add it to the Mac-Forums Facebook page?

This is what I see,

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 8.16.46 PM.png

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK yes I just tried to post a couple of brief videos on the Mac-Form Facebook page. but they're not there.

And after a couple of hours and a closer look at that Facebook page, the most recent post is September 2020 and posts are only made by Admin it seems. So thats a blank.

I did send a 2s video to the stated email address; lets see if anyone sees it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
People stopped using the FB page when the site was re-established. However it's still checked, just not used for troubles much any more. I looked at the video and I think you need to get another replacement. It looks like the stabilization for the camera has gone wrong.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Jake. And as I mentioned to you in my first post #8, get a replacement iPhone 11 from where you purchased it.

You mentioned that the first replacement you received was a refurbished phone. If the phone was new and purchased from Apple, they should have give you another new iPhone 11 not a refurbished unit.

If you didn't purchase it from Apple, then you need to deal with the seller.

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with Jake. And as I mentioned to you in my first post #8, get a replacement iPhone 11 from where you purchased it.

You mentioned that the first replacement you received was a refurbished phone. If the phone was new and purchased from Apple, they should have give you another new iPhone 11 not a refurbished unit.

If you didn't purchase it from Apple, then you need to deal with the seller.

Original phone from Apple Watford UK and they replaced it with current one which yes, was refurbished and has developed the same fault. Ahead the replacement they replaced the camera unit in the new one but it displayed the same issue.

I'll book a slot with Watford and ask for a new replacement.

Original purchase 11th Aug 2020.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll book a slot with Watford and ask for a new replacement.

Speak with the store manager if possible and politely insist on a new unit rather than another repaired or refurbished one. Since you purchased it on Aug 2020, your warranty is good until Aug 2021 at least.

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will do..... many thanks Both.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.