WMV and the BBC site

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 250Gb, Intel based.
Hi all!

I've just come over from the dark side and so far the experience has been enlightening. I'm porting my stuff over from my PC bit by bit and so far all's well. The main thing that's bugging me at the moment is that I can't seem to view any video clips on the BBC site. I've downloaded Flip4mac and can view downloaded WMV's but when I try to view clips on the BBC site it doesn't want to know. Does anyone know how to get it to work?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Have you got Real Player? Download it and change your prefs on the BBC site to use Real Player instead.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 250Gb, Intel based.
Doh, looked last night and couldn't see a version. Looked this morning and could! Sorry must have too much wine last night!

I'll download it tonight and give it a go...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I got the BBC site to play videos by installing Flip4Mac again, over the top of itself. I don't know if that'll work elsewhere, but that's what happened with mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I just copy the Link in the "Play in Standalone Player" and paste it into VLC

It's a bit of hassle but it works, probably not the easiest way but I only ever use it to play Live Streams, as I normally watch BBC News to get the News.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
If you have an application installed that plays WMV files, but your browser doesn't seem to load them, you may just need to adjust your MIME types. Normally plugins do that for you, but occasionally you need to massage them a bit. I don't know if Macs handle them the same way that Windows does, but I know that in Firefox I have to occasionally adjust things to make it work the way I want/expect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I just copy the Link in the "Play in Standalone Player" and paste it into VLC

I do the same thing to listen to the BBC Five Live streams in RealPlayer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.