Wish I never got it (24" 2023 M3 iMac)!

Reaction score
I have a new iMac 2024 m3 running Sonoma had so many problems with it some through my own fault, the latest being my printer which is 6yrs old but ran with no problems on my old Mac running Ventura will not print from my new Mac using wifi its as if the Mac is not communicating with the printer been on the hp website and installed all software and drivers as there were a couple of updates made no difference. I have tried to get in touch with hp but cannot get past the bot keeps asking questions as to my problem and gives a list with do not relate to my problem ended giving up.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What printer do you have? I have a nearly 11 year old Canon printer that works totally fine with. my Sonoma installation.

If your only issue is with the printer, then it's an issue with HP that needs to be addressed.

Did you try removing the printer entirely, re-installing the drivers and re-adding the printer?

OP
R
Reaction score
my printer is an hp envy 5540, when I try to print and get to the print page it says no printer selected, its 6yrs old and printed with no problems with my old iMac running Ventura 13.6.3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Just an idea - I have an HP LaserJet 400 - it is old but not sure how old but anyway... Over the years I have set it up using a usb cable and a not so handy setup CD. Then later after getting a new Mac, I used their not so handy downloaded setup app and the cable. Got a new MBP and an iMac so they both had to be connected wirelessly to the printer. I used the setup app - no luck.

What finally worked - I installed the print drivers on both macs then I set an manual IP address in the printer. I setup the printer on the macs using the IP address of the printer. All are happy now.

Lisa

PrinterSetup1.jpg

PrinterSetup2.jpg

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The driver released on Oct 31st adds Sonoma support. So make sure you have grabbed that version of the driver from here.

So follow this process. Delete any currently configured printer from System Settings. Install the driver and then re-add the printer. If your intention is to use the printer of WiFi, it HAS to be detected when being added. If it doesn't get detected, then you can't add it and thus it's not ready for printing.

OP
R
Reaction score
I think I am taking over this forum but I just came across what might be a solution to my printer problem only I can't get to it. It says go into system settings and goes on with the instructions only problem is system. settings does not open when I click on it the icon just sits in the dock.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And what solution have you found?

If System Settings isn't opening up, reboot your machine and it'll open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I have (and had) a HP printer and HP monitors, I do find their (HP) support for the Mac generally quite poor. Assuming I stay with Apple, I would not buy HP again, unless their Apple support improves.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think I am taking over this forum but I just came across what might be a solution to my printer problem only I can't get to it. It says go into system settings and goes on with the instructions only problem is system. settings does not open when I click on it the icon just sits in the dock.

I'm in danger of adding to your existing burden any further comments, but this is simple and worked for me.

I have an HP Envy of some vintage which was WiFi linked to two iMacs. It stopped working for the newest one as yours did. Luckily, I did get a helpful assistant at HP.

I was told to power off the Printer. Remove the plug from the wall. Wait 30 seconds (patiently measured by the HP lady), then reattach the plug to the wall socket, then power up.

Been fine since.

BTW my problem started when the iMac was running Ventura and the solution above was applied then. I'm now on Sonoma and it still works with no additional support needed.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh the classic unplug, wait and replug method. That's right behind the "Is it turned on" method. 😃

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Another way to get to Settings is to click on the Apple Icon in the upper left corner and then select "System Settings..."

OP
R
Reaction score
got in touch with apple and they informed to start up in safe mode couldn't see any faults so exited safe mode went back to normal boot up and behold the system preferences was working, followed instruction to go to printers and scanners and add my printer from there on printer now working
thanks to every one for their help and patience

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't need Safe Mode, just a reboot would've been fine. But glad you got it working.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Also, just an aside, you said, "when I click on it the icon just sits in the dock." I don't have the System Settings icon in my dock. I know you can but it just seems like duplication to me. I use the apple Menu method. Dock icons are just "short cuts" really and as such can get damaged or corrupted.
When this happens dragging it off the dock into an empty space on the desktop and letting it go will remove it then you can replace it from Launch Pad by dragging a fresh copy to the Dock.

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
After clicking on the apple icon that's when the system settings icon appeared in the dock but nothing happened ie it didn't open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If I were having this many issues I would down load Onyx and let it run it's maintenance feature. That will clean out any garbage and reset any bad settings. Onyx would then reboot the system but, in addition, I would also do a complete shutdown and restart to make sure everything reset. Onyx is an excellent free app that does a lot of clearing, cleaning and resetting. It is recommended by many on this forum. It can't hurt to try it.

Titanium Software | Operating System Utilities for Mac - OnyX

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
After clicking on the apple icon that's when the system settings icon appeared in the dock but nothing happened ie it didn't open.
I think you are referring to the "Recently Used" slots (there are three) on the right hand end of the Dock between the two vertical bars but clicking on one of them should open the corresponding app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
Funny, my 2 year old HP is a total pain to use. I couldn't get it to work 2 weeks ago, and received an email stating I've use my allotted number of pages printed for the month. WHAT? I've printed 10 pages this calendar year. HP was ZERO help for over 2 weeks. Sometimes the paper feeds, some time it doesn't. MANY issues. Not looking for advice or recommendations, I don't print enough to worry about. It's not an expensive printer, I bought it for the bluetooth capabilities, but it doesn't even do that now. Oh Well 🤷

HOWEVER, my 15 year old Brother Laser Printer works like a charm with Sonoma !! 🤣

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've had good luck with Canon and Brother printers over the years. I had an HP Inkjet for a brief amount of time and while it worked fine, the replacing of the ink was an expensive venture so I switched to laser and never looked back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.