Wireless router question

Reaction score
I'm making the switch to wireless, and I have a question regarding the speed capabilities.

I bought the Macbook when it first came out, so I don't have the wireless-N capabilities that I've been reading about; I believe mine is just wireless-G. As far as I know, I can't upgrade to wireless-N, so the wireless router should be G.

However, while shopping, I noticed that there's Wireless-G with Speedbooster and Wireless-G with SRX. Both claim to increase the speed, but I'm unsure if the Macbook is capable to realize the increase speeds. Would the upgrade for either Speedbooster or SRX be worth it, or should I stick with a plain old Wireless-G router?

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Check your current speed while wired here.
With my highspeed service I get over 8800 kbps on wireless with standard g.
Don't know exactly where wireless g will cap out, but if you don't have that speed wired, then for sure no need to spend the money for the extra gadgets they're trying to sell.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks.

My speed was only 4800, so I guess I'm fine with the regular G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
Why are mine so low I'm right at 1305kbps That doesn't seem so good. Is it the provider or could it be my wireless router? Igot the one they(SBC) sent me! I gotta 8011.g wireless card in my CD macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
It is more then likely your provider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
I guess i need to pony up another 25 bucks a month to catch up with the rest:Shouting:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.