Wireless Printing From my mac?

Reaction score
Hi i got a blackbook and i wanna print wireless.
i gotta hp laserjet 1300, its connected with wires to my desktop pc running xp.
i got a linksys router.

now is it possible to print stuff from my mac wirelessly using that printer?

if yes then how?

pls note im a complete noobie :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.4 Ghz, Core 2 duo, 4Gb RAM, 320 GB HD
I have an HP External Jet Direct normally $149 (USB) that will allow you to print wireless (I have all software and such) and I'd sell it to you for $70 and you pay USPS actual shipping. This will work very well it's what I use for my HP Laserjet 1300 and my Macbook Pro.

If interested, PM me.

:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
there are several ways. make sure that the printer is shared out from the PC. i do not remember if you have to set up a network or not. once the printer is shared, then you should be able to print to it. i forget how to set it up on the mac, but there is a printer icon in system preferences.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Both of those devices are pretty expensive. The LaserJet 1300 actually has a slot in the back of it for a JetDirect card (I have and use one). Alternatively, you can purchase an external print server link this one, relatively inexpensively.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, not all of the print servers out there will support AppleTalk and/or Bonjour. If an Apple-compatible protocol is not supported, your Mac(s) won't be able to detect that the printer is on the network.

The HP Jetdirect 175x will support AppleTalk, and the en3700 (very expensive, unless you can find it used) will support many protocols (including Apple ones). These are the ones I'm familiar with, but other Jetdirect models may also be suitable (check the specs).

A sure bet for Apple compatibility- the Airport Express. It isn't all that expensive new (in fact, it is less expensive than a number of devices that are only a print server, and the AE can perform several other functions as well), and used ones can sometimes be found. For use as a print server, the newer 802.11n version isn't needed; the older 802.11b/g version (less expensive if you can find it) will work fine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, not all of the print servers out there will support AppleTalk and/or Bonjour. If an Apple-compatible protocol is not supported, your Mac(s) won't be able to detect that the printer is on the network.

The HP Jetdirect 175x will support AppleTalk, and the en3700 (very expensive, unless you can find it used) will support many protocols (including Apple ones). These are the ones I'm familiar with, but other Jetdirect models may also be suitable (check the specs).

A sure bet for Apple compatibility- the Airport Express. It isn't all that expensive new (in fact, it is less expensive than a number of devices that are only a print server, and the AE can perform several other functions as well), and used ones can sometimes be found. For use as a print server, the newer 802.11n version isn't needed; the older 802.11b/g version (less expensive if you can find it) will work fine.

Why couldn't he use LPR? I do - it works fine. Sure, Bonjour and AppleTalk make it easier, but OS X can browse for IP printers too.

Reaction score
All I can say is that if I disable AppleTalk (the only Apple-related protocol this model supports) on the HP Jetdirect 175x print server, if I try to add the printer to my system preferences, there is no sign of it. Once I turn AppleTalk back on, the printer shows up.

On the en3700 print server, I can find the printer without AppleTalk being enabled, since it supports many other formats. As I indicated, though, this is a very expensive model (about 3 times the cost of an Airport Express). There is no way I could justify buying it new, but I managed to get a once-in-a-lifetime deal on a used one through craigslist, so I jumped on it. I don't know how well it would work on a non-HP printer, though (since I have an HP Laserjet, this is presently not a concern).

As to how many print servers out there will work, I have no idea, but it is probably best to buy locally, so that it is easy to drive back to the store to return it if you find it isn't Mac-compatible.

I stand by my opinion that, given the features it has, the Airport Express represents the best bang-for-the-buck out there (even if you buy new, and a definitely better deal if you can get a used or Apple-refurbished one). Plus, it is pretty much guaranteed that this will be Mac-compatible, and it will work with a variety of printer brands. Yes, you might save a few bucks using a different brand of print server, but what is your time worth trying to make it work (plus the time and gas involved in returning it if you can't make it function properly)?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All I can say is that if I disable AppleTalk (the only Apple-related protocol this model supports) on the HP Jetdirect 175x print server, if I try to add the printer to my system preferences, there is no sign of it. Once I turn AppleTalk back on, the printer shows up.

On the en3700 print server, I can find the printer without AppleTalk being enabled, since it supports many other formats. As I indicated, though, this is a very expensive model (about 3 times the cost of an Airport Express). There is no way I could justify buying it new, but I managed to get a once-in-a-lifetime deal on a used one through craigslist, so I jumped on it. I don't know how well it would work on a non-HP printer, though (since I have an HP Laserjet, this is presently not a concern).

As to how many print servers out there will work, I have no idea, but it is probably best to buy locally, so that it is easy to drive back to the store to return it if you find it isn't Mac-compatible.

I stand by my opinion that, given the features it has, the Airport Express represents the best bang-for-the-buck out there (even if you buy new, and a definitely better deal if you can get a used or Apple-refurbished one). Plus, it is pretty much guaranteed that this will be Mac-compatible, and it will work with a variety of printer brands. Yes, you might save a few bucks using a different brand of print server, but what is your time worth trying to make it work (plus the time and gas involved in returning it if you can't make it function properly)?

It's not really a question of "Mac compatibility" as much as it is that you need to get a print server that uses standard network printing protocols like IPP, LPR, etc. Almost any print server will work, you just need to know how to configure it. Unfortunately not all of those protocols are just plug and play.

Reaction score
Your last sentence pretty much sums up my point- for many folks (who are not and don't want to be technical guru's- they just want their printer to work), it probably is best to pay a little more and get something (like the Airport Express) that requires minimal setting up. After all, their time (and their frustration when they can't get things to work properly) certainly has a value.

Another thing to keep in mind- if you get a print server from some place like D-Link, their ability to provide help for a Mac user may well be limited. Surveys have shown that Apple's tech-support is some of the best out there.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks guys, i managed to do it by sharing the printer and a few simple steps and i could use the printer from my mac.

but funny thing is i have problems setting it up on my pc laptop lmfao

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guys, i managed to do it by sharing the printer and a few simple steps and i could use the printer from my mac.

but funny thing is i have problems setting it up on my pc laptop lmfao

Yep, network printing has long been a weak spot for OS X. Windows does a much better job in this respect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.