Wireless Keyboard

Reaction score
My wife 'cleaned' the apple wireless keyboard.Even though the Mac was in sleep mode, it has rendered the keyboard useless..Nothing appears as typed and a continual bleeping is heard.
Before I throw it out, anybody know if it can be 're-set' etc..?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Take out the batteries and turn it upside down and let it dry out for a day or two. Some liquid got under the keys.

See if after a few days it works again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My wife 'cleaned' the apple wireless keyboard.Even though the Mac was in sleep mode, it has rendered the keyboard useless..Nothing appears as typed and a continual bleeping is heard.
Before I throw it out, anybody know if it can be 're-set' etc..?

Sorry for your problem, but had to chuckle - we have a thread going on fixing the Apple Magic Mouse and a solution was putting it in the freezer for about a half hour (and it seemed to work!). So, an image came to mind of putting the keyboard in a dishwasher - :)

My wife is the main user of our iMac (I'm on a MBPro); she always has food and drinks near the keyboard - I don't worry too much because its wireless and not part of the computer vs. my laptop, so if necessary, you'll just need to replace an inexpensive device.

Now, I'm curious, I have a backup USB cabled KB & mouse (just in case the BT goes out or a wireless device breaks) - would a liquid spill on such a keyboard cause an issue w/ the computer? Dave

dishwasher-keyboard.png

OP
M
Reaction score
Wireless keyboard

Not as bad as that ! No, she just cleaned it with a rag and solution, but it appears the keyboard has now become totally confused, i.e. press a key and get a different one !
So, it looks like a new one for Christmas. Currently using a USB thats nowhere near as good.

Thanks..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you do what I said and let it dry out before you gave up? Just a small bit of Solution as you call it can do what I said. I know because I ruined the USB version of that same keyboard that way!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Remember those old heavy metal IBM keyboards that everyone seemed to love? Those things were actually dishwasher safe (not real hot water though). You could run them thru a cycle and pull them out to air dry (not dry in the dishwasher heat cycle). Practically indestructible. Ever use one of those old Northgate keyboards Dennis? That was another great keyboard. They just don't make em like they used to! ;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Remember those old heavy metal IBM keyboards that everyone seemed to love? Those things were actually dishwasher safe (not real hot water though). You could run them thru a cycle and pull them out to air dry (not dry in the dishwasher heat cycle). Practically indestructible. Ever use one of those old Northgate keyboards Dennis? That was another great keyboard. They just don't make em like they used to! ;D

I still have an IBM one that came with my IBM 5151 XT! :D Grin It works like brand new!

I have for sure seen and I think used a Northgate one. Also the really old Apple keyboards from the old days were amazing and so solid. I like really firm keys with no sponginess to them. My typing speed goes up 20 wpm more on a really tight keyboard.

I just had water spill in my old Dell Quiet Key. Dried it out and it works.

The Metal Apple ones are so thin, I find if even a few little drops get under the keys they die but one dried out and worked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.