Wireless Internet Help

Reaction score
I just bought a Macbook Pro and a router. I can find the network I set up from my mac but am unable to connect to it. I even tried removing the password from the network, so anyone should be able to connect to it, yet i can't. When I did have the password set up, it would either tell me that the password was incorrect(when it wasn't) or it would say "connection timeout". I am able to connect to the internet directly from the modem but that is not what I want to do. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

This is my first mac, having been a pc user all my life and soo far this experience has been terrible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Liam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
LPcool,

First go to System Preferences>Network and make sure you have Airport selected. Then on the right, select your network and you may have to give a a password or WEP key for the router.

Then in Sys>Pref, go to Sharing and make sure you have checked File Sharing and that it shows your Home location. Then click on Options and make sure SMB is checked.

That should do it, let us know if it works.

Noel

OP
L
Reaction score
No luck, I changed the preferences as you said and tried to select my Network in the Airport Settings in Network. However after clicking on it, it automatically changes back to "No Network selected". I am still unconnected from the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
No luck, I changed the preferences as you said and tried to select my Network in the Airport Settings in Network. However after clicking on it, it automatically changes back to "No Network selected". I am still unconnected from the internet.

LP, are you sure you using the right wep key password? It's not the same password that you use to login into your router, unless you changed it to be the same.

If you are the admin of the router, log into it and check out the wireless tab in the router. Some where on that page it should have a WEP key, if you haven't changed this then it's just a bunch of random letters/numbers. You can either keep that password and copy and paste it into airport or you can change it to whatever you want and then use that password.

Let me know if that works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
If you can get to the point of entering your password and then it acts like there was an error joining the network, try putting a $ in front of the password, so, for example, your password would be $12345678

I have had trouble joining other people's wireless internet connections even when their mac, and my ipod touch have no problem and this seems to make it work.

Mel

OP
L
Reaction score
I had disabled the security on my router, so I was under the impression that I should not need a password. I just changed it back to WEP security. When I type in my my password it says "connection timeout" and when I put a $ in front of it, it says "invalid password". Any more ideas? Im hoping I just missed something simple...

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok, now im really confused. I finally got on to my network(I think) because there is a check mark next to it and there is black bars in the wireless conncetion. However, when I click on safari it says I am not connected to the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Hmmmm, that sort of status means you have successfully connected to the router, but the router isn't getting the info from your Modem.

I would switch your modem and router off, leave for 15 seconds at least, then switch back on and let them fully boot (sometimes up to 90 seconds depending on the models) and see if you can connect then.

If not, have you successfully connected any other wifi devices to the internet using your set up?

Also, if the $ thing didn't work, that's ok, leave it off from now on when your entering a password

Mel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, now im really confused. I finally got on to my network(I think) because there is a check mark next to it and there is black bars in the wireless conncetion. However, when I click on safari it says I am not connected to the internet.

First, it's never a good idea to leave your wireless unsecured. It allows people in your general vicinity to piggyback your router, thus compromising your network security and bogs it down among other things. It's a good idea to password protect it.

When you re-enabled the WEP, I'm assuming you logged into the router? 192.168.1.1 in the url? When you re-enabled WEP it should give you random generated password. That's the password you need to connect wirelessly. Even though you connected to the wireless router doesn't mean you are authenticated on the network so it may just be that you don't have the right password.

I would go back and look to see if a random generated WEP key was created.

OP
L
Reaction score
When I go to http://192.168.0.1/ on my D-Link router it doesnt allow me to make a random WEP key. I have to type one in manually and put it as 1234512345. However, I now can not get passed the "connection timeout" message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I go to http://192.168.0.1/ on my D-Link router it doesnt allow me to make a random WEP key. I have to type one in manually and put it as 1234512345. However, I now can not get passed the "connection timeout" message.

Ok, so if it doesn't allow you to make a random WEP key you can just make your own. Or you can just pound on the keyboard and see what you get. But regardless that's the password you will need when you try to connect to the wireless router.

What do you mean "connection timeout?" Does that happen when you try to manually create a WEP password?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.