Wireless G for my ibook g3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any wifi cards that might fit in the ibook g3's that are wireless G. I have an airport card in it now, but sometimes I miss networks, due to it being B. I was looking around and I've seen some lucent / orinoco hacks but they have to be "stuffed" tightly. Does anyone have any experience with any cards that may fit. I had an Zcomm card fit, but the antenna connectors are different. So baisically I had little to no signal. I had an orinoco gold barely fit, but it's a tid long and I didn't want to cram it since at the time, I was using it in a thinkpad.

Anyways. Any ideas, suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
As far as I know, wireless G is in no way shape or form compatible with the G3.

OP
Ghostshadow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Why wouldn't it be? It's just based on the wifi card it's self. The hardware of the laptop doesn't have anything to do with it being able to accept G. The processor doesn't have anything to do with it either. Regular PCMCIA cards will fit, some are just too long to fit. Some can be modified to fit. I was just wondering if anyone else has done it.

http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/662/diy-airport-for-that-old-ibook

Example ^ I had the same card, but I didn't feel comfortable stuffing it into the ibook at the time because I was also using it for a thinkpad. I have since sold it, so I cant take it appart now. I had the Zcomm (XI-325) fit. The only problem is the antenna connectors differ from the ones in the ibook. So, it was a no go.

It will work, OS X see's the other cards as an airport card. It's all based on software. Tiger supports other cards and pcmcia devices. The airport cards are just a variation of the lucient / orinoco cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
I thought It was the firmware that made it incompatible, but I could be wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.