Wired Keyboard

Reaction score
When I start up, my iMac searches for a wireless keyboard. After several tries, I can finally start up but this is unacceptable. I have an iMac running under the latest version of Yosemite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
When I start up, my iMac searches for a wireless keyboard. After several tries, I can finally start up but this is unacceptable. I have an iMac running under the latest version of Yosemite.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Just for starters, a few questions: 1) What iMac (year) are you using; 2) Did this problem start after a Yosemite upgrade; and 3) Assume you are now using a 'wired' KB - correct? Have you recently upgraded OS X and/or switched from a wireless to a wired KB? Might get the discussion started - Dave

OP
N
Reaction score
I have the latest iMac 27" desktop, purchased in August 2014. The problem is unrelated to the OS as I started w/ Mavericks, upgraded to Yosemite as soon as it became available and have upgraded to the latest version of Yosemite. Apple at first thought it was a defective keyboard but no such luck.

OP
N
Reaction score
Wired keyboard

Neglected to say that I have only had a wired keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Are you using the original wireless keyboard that came with your Mac that should have been "paired" at the factory, or was it exchanged?

Either way, have a read at Apple's kb article for setting it up:
Bluetooth: How to set up your Apple Wireless Keyboard - Apple Support

Also, what state are the wireless keyboard's batteries in? Sometimes they don't last very long with Apple's Bluetooth keyboards. ;(

OP
N
Reaction score
WIRED keyboard

I have a ]wired[keyboard and always have had a wired keyboard. However, when I start up, as often as not, I get the message that Bluetooth is searching for a wireless keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well let's put it this way. Ever used wireless on it, keyboard, mouse, printer or Capsule, or was it set up in an Apple store and running there? If so Bluetooth may be switched on. Go to System Preferences > Bluetooth > Bluetooth Off setting.

Be intersting to see if anything is listed under Devices there.

OP
N
Reaction score
Wired keyboard

Hi,

Bluetooth is on because I have a wireless mouse. If I had a wired mouse, then, of course, Bluetooth could be disabled. NancyB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something is not right with your setup. I have the same machine you do and my bluetooth is on. Yet I use a wired keyboard and wired mouse. But I receive no warning that BT is searching for a keyboard or mouse. What I suggest you do is a NVRAM reset, and if that doesn't work, do a SMC reset.

OP
N
Reaction score
wired keyboard

Since you have both a wired keyboard and a wired mouse, you don't use Bluetooth. I have a wired keyboard but a wireless mouse. Bluetooth recognizes this i.e. only the mouse is shown as a wireless device. Nevertheless, I get the message that Bluetooth is searching for a wireless keyboard. This is inconsistent as otherwise I could never start up my machine. Sometimes I have to try 3 or 4 times which is, of course, unacceptable.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try the resets that have been suggested.

C

chas_m

Have you tried unchecking the first option in the advanced Bluetooth setup box? That would seem to be the problem.

Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 6.42.41 AM.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If that setting is coming into play it seems like the Mac is not detecting the wired keyboard properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm just wondering if a wireless keyboard had ever been connected and paired to that iMac, and the settings are still trying to work?

The thought of deleting the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist comes to mind and starting over after a restart or shutdown/reboot.

This fellow did this some years ago, but the OS's working haven't changed that much, and might be worth a read and try:
https://www.christopher-parsons.com/solved-bluetooth-devices-not-connecting-to-osx/

PS: my Mavericks iMac's com.apple.Bluetooth.plist lists two devices that I have no idea what they are and I don't recall using any BT device, and even with BT turned on I have no trouble starting up and the settings as per chasm_m's screen shot above are all enabled.

I guess one could avoid the BT trouble when booting and to just not shutdown and just sleep the iMac. ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you try resetting the NVRAM and SMC as suggested above? Neither is difficult to do and may work. Worth a try.

OP
N
Reaction score
As I'm not sure what NVRAM and/or SMC actually do, I'm hesitant to try your suggestion. However, when I call the Apple technician assigned to this problem, I'll pass on your suggestion. Thanks, Nancy B

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I'll give your suggestion a try. I'm just naturally cautious.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's OK, it's good to be cautious. Let us know the results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.