Windowserver

Reaction score
Windows server is for networking without it your macintosh wouldn't communicate with the internet why.

Reaction score
Question: what model of macbook pro if you need help speeding it up people here at mac forums can help you.

OP
C
Reaction score
speeding up macbook pro

Thank you for your reply,
my macbook is
OSX
Version 10.9.5
Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memorie 8Go 1067 Mhz

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Windows server is for networking without it your macintosh wouldn't communicate with the internet why.

Where do you get this stuff?

Windowserver has nothing to do with networking.

In simple terms, WindowServer is the process responsible for drawing what you see on your screen.

C

chas_m

Where do you get this stuff?

I really wish he would stop spreading misinformation and flatly giving out terrible "advice" that is so wrong we have to spend a fair amount of time correcting it and warning people not to pay attention to anything he says rather than actually addressing the issues.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A simple search in Google would make clear to you that this is not anywhere near close to what that is. Please take some time to do a quick search in the future so as to ensure that you don't mislead forum members who are having issues.

celebrantsandie, WindowServer is an absolutely central process that, in short, mediates the drawing of windows and content on your screen (think of your screen as a canvas for a moment and WindowServer as a painter). Without it, you wouldn't see anything.

M

MacInWin

Getting back to the reason for the original post, what symptoms are you seeing that make you think your Mac is slowing down? How much space on your HD? Have you changed anything recently, just before the perceived slowdown? Any other symptoms?

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi again and thanks Jake,
I suspect my computer wasn't working properly partly because the battery was running out very fast. It took a long time to start up again and I 'm seeing the dreaded ball more and more often.
I have done a bit of cleaning up with the start up stuff and it's a lot better. before I do anything too technical tho' I have to back up so I'm researching what external disk I should buy. Not sure I can afford a time capsule but will do if it's necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Might I suggest downloading Onyx and running the automation to clean out the caches? Might help too.

Titanium Software - Home - Onyx

Lisa

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That Microsoft's server version of Windows. It says that in the first sentence...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
"Windows Server" the operating system (like Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, etc.) has nothing to do with the "windowserver" process within the OS X operating system.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What external disk would you suggest for backing up?
I haveI have 249,2 Go and 37,81 free.
Thanks
Sandie

Just from that info, and "assuming" the hard drive is ok, the slow downs are due to a combination of: a) the little amount of free space available and b) the free space being extremely fragmented.

If you have more data, movies or unused apps you can delete and get back up to around 20-25% free space, that will help. A defrag on a drive that has been that full would help tremendously. I would also suggest a new larger drive replacement.

However, you need a backup first if you don't have one. You can get any external drive you want. As an example, I have my wife set up with just an el cheapie WD My Passport drive - 1 TB - about $70 from Amazon, Fry's...

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

As the others have said, any external drive will do. Get one about twice as big as your internal, so about 500Go should do well. The faster interface will help, so if you have Firewire, get that one, or if you have USB3, get one of those. USB2 will do, but it's much slower at moving data. Firewire is more expensive than USB, sadly, but USB can be found relatively inexpensively. Don't worry about format, you'll need to repartition/reformat it for OS X anyway and ANY drive will do. I prefer WD drives myself, but get whatever you can. Batteries do start to lose life, particularly if deep cycled many times. You can try turning down brighness on the screen, turning off Bluetooth unless you need it, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.