Windows XP Startup Sound

Reaction score
I've been running Windows XP on my 2006 Macbook for almost a year now. It recently has started making the Windows startup sound for no reason. This is after I turn off sound before shutdown and have speakers plugged in (turned off). The internal speakers have the sound.
I've gone into Control Panel to turn off all sounds that Windows should make and I think I deleted the right sound file for that sound. However, it keeps happening.
My friend says his computer does it sometimes too and there isn't anything I can do since it's Firmware issues or something.

Is there a way I can fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, it's not a firmware issue. If you've properly gone into Control Panel, Sounds, and ran down the list of sounds de-selecting those that you don't want including the Windows Startup, Shutdown, Log On, Log Off sounds, you should not hear it.

Do you by chance have any sound themes selected from running MS Office or any other Windows app that has a sound theme? How about any installed Windows themes? Window Blinds? Theme Changer?. etc?

Check everything. That sound has to be coming from somewhere.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
I've already done that. I don't run any applications. I deleted all the Windows sounds files that possibly would make sounds. I think my friend might be right.
However, I need my laptop for class and I can't have it blasting the sound everything. Is there a fix other than reinstalling Windows and losing all my stuff?

OP
D
Reaction score
I think I might be able to fix it if I reinstall Windows. However, will I lose all the stuff that's on my harddrive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.