Windows Took Over MacBook Pro Please Help

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a MacBook Pro 15 inch 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB HD

I am very new to macs and the mac community, but me being a windows idiot decide to run Boot Camp on my mac and then sh!t hit the fan!!! My dad gave me what looked like a sketchy version of Windows and apparently the build he gave me was for Pentium Processors only, which I found out later... Anyways Here are the steps I went through...

1. Opened Boot camp, which told me to insert Windows XP CD
2. Restart, then a blue sreen pops up with Windows DOS text on it
3. After Partitioning takes place, Restart, except the mac keeps booting from CD so the installation keeps restarting
4. Got the CD out, and put in OS X CD 1, and it asks me to install OS X, go thru steps and once i get to Select A Destination, the screen is blank

I have gone to the utilities icon and tried everything including Disk Utilitiy, but all of the type areas are grayed out. I have tried booting in safe mode.
I am so ****** I got this Mac 4 days ago and i already f it up. I had a few files that arent too important, but I would love to save. The woman at mac said I have to send it in. I would rather not do that. ANY help would be amazing. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
that sounds ugly. I would never put myself in that situation so I don't really have an answer for you.

I just never liked the idea of actually installing windows as a startup... I just use parallels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
When you shove in the cd at the startup to install OSX, have a look in one of the menus there. There should be a disk utility or similar. Can it see your Hard Drive? And if so can it reformat it to something OS X can read? Sure you'll loose all your data this way. But it's better than having a brick for a notebook on your hands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
My initial call would be make an external or DVD backup of anything you want to keep.

It sounds like you installed Windows and it wiped out OS X.

When the DVD starts up is there no option like Erase and Install? This I think is the only option that exists for your problem. I have no experience in using or installing Bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Most likely you formatted over your OS X instillation... In that case, your data is lost..

In disk utility, click on the top lever hard drive in the sidebar... select the partitions tab... set it to 1 partition Mac OS X Extended... apply... and try the instillation again.

This will cause you to loose all your files and start with a "like-new" computer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.