Windows to Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1024mb RAM, 32mb GFX Card, Tiger, Mac Mini
Well, i'm posting this on a Dell (Windows) but in about a month or two i will be getting a Mac Mini. But I've never used any Apples or Macs etc before. So:

Are there any bits of knowledge that I need know? Like how to install Firefox and the likes.

Also I am a gamer and i know the Macs aren't famous for being able to play games. But i have a Windows Installation disc and would it be possible to install another OS on a Mac? Or is there a way for installing games for windows on mac?

Thanks for reading and looking forward to the change.
:headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
When you download apps they are usually in DMG format, these are like virtual disks and they get mounted.

When you open the DMG you will see the application icon, you drag this to the Applications folder and it will install it. It's as simple as that for most installations.

Some applications are pkg format, it will run an installer wizard.

You can install Windows using BootCamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Well, I will have to put in my 2 cents :D

I just got my Beautiful Black Macbook about 2 hrs ago.

The Flawless way that the system work will just render you speechless!

I downloaded Skype and MSN and the whole process of download and install took less than 5 mins, like gilesjuk mentioned, the downlads are in DMG format, and as soon as u drag it into apps it just installs it in a heart beat. or may be it seems so to me comparing it to the monsterousity of windows and how long it takes to install anything on it.

Its just a beautiful Life with My MacBook.

Cheers, and welcome to the Light Side :D

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Fernicia! And I hope you get your Mac soon and that you enjoy it a whole lot.

I just wanted to comment on the following:

Also I am a gamer and i know the Macs aren't famous for being able to play games.

It's not a question of ability or lack of, a lot of game software developers don't want to invest time and money on making Mac versions because the market share is small. But I did hear that even the Windoze game versions were (or will be soon) on the decline, game devs wanting to put all their resources in developing console versions first.

How it works for Macs is, if the game is highly successful sales-wise, there are good chances a Mac version sees the day, eventually. So in a sense, it means mostly quality games make it on the Mac anyway.

Just my two cents... :girl:

Reaction score
You can boot Windows with any Intel Mac using Boot Camp, as others have pointed out.

However, a Mini comes with the Intel GMA 950 graphics processor which is not a discrete video card. The slower processors (Minis still use Core Duos, not C2D's), lack of discrete video, etc. will mean that you will have some trouble running higher-end 3D games.

You can play games on a Mac, even Windows games. But the particular Mac you are looking at is not a game-oriented machine and will be no better than a similarly equipped Windows PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Well, i'm posting this on a Dell (Windows) but in about a month or two i will be getting a Mac Mini. But I've never used any Apples or Macs etc before. So:

Are there any bits of knowledge that I need know? Like how to install Firefox and the likes.

Also I am a gamer and i know the Macs aren't famous for being able to play games. But i have a Windows Installation disc and would it be possible to install another OS on a Mac? Or is there a way for installing games for windows on mac?

Thanks for reading and looking forward to the change.
:headphone
I'll see if I can help out, as I recently switched from a Dell to a Mini. I bought a used Mini, and being an older model, it's not capable of running windows (so I can't comment on that, but do a search for "Boot camp") But, I love the thing...so much so that i've spent some time over the past week or so posting some videos on Youtube to help out others who are thinking of switching. They may help you out a bit:

Mini vs Dell comparison (I have not done part 2 yet):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-4ntavSVVc

Mini speed and stability test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5ytEO_godc

OS X tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3dGcFy8hI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf1x0iUErck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ-mdj_LFxs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTAi-XabXvc

It should be noted that in the 1st two OS X videos I refer to the OS incorrectly. It's pronounced OS "ten", not OS "X". ;)

All that being said. The mini, as i'm sure you know, is the entry level Apple computer, and thus the most unsuitable for gaming even though none of these machines are really built for it. In addition to availability, it also has to do with the video cards the computers are stocked with. The current minis have 64MB of shared video RAM. Just something to keep in mind.

That being said, as an everyday computer, Apples are hard to beat. The iLife software suite, and the design of the OS makes everyday tasks simple and enjoyable. The computer always works flawlessly, never locks up, and never crashes.

Keep in mind that the Mini is completely unexpandable from an internal standpoint, and not all easy to upgrade, as it's very tight inside and the machine uses a combination of desktop and laptop parts. It's tough to open up the casing as well. But at the end of the day, it's a very capable machine with a reasonable price point, and for the diminutive size it's performance is staggering. OS X is also *extremely* well thought out. Simple, yet very powerful when you tap into what it's capable of.

Hope that helps.

-Nick

OP
Fernicia
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't really have a choice about what model of Mac i get because it is actually my dad's old Mac. I know that it isn't the best for gaming but i've done some research and it has the specs of most of the games i want to play. (World of Warcraft and Counter Strike)
But whats this 'Boot Camp' I keep hearing about?
And I'm also upgrading the RAM to 1024 MB. Will that have any noticable difference to the speed or performance??
And again thanks for everyones replies, this is a really friendly board :)
Thanks, fiveightandten. I'll be sure to check them out once i get the Mac (My Laptop has no sound :( )

@MinaMACMan, I'm glad Mac has all those programs. But does it have these?
Open Office, The newest MSN, an FLV player?

And when I get Firefox will any/all the extensions be compatible with the Mac?

Reaction score
The Mac version of Open Office is called Neo Office, MSN is available, but i don't think it's exactly the latest one that's available on Windows at the moment. FLV players are available as well.

Check out Apple Switch 101 for some good information on making the switch. There are lots of other sites for making the Switch. For additional information spelled out really well, you can check out Switching to Mac: OS X Tiger Edition The Missing Manual: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/switchmacmm2/ There's some great information there.

Basically, just use Google, various Mac forums, articles, etc. and read, read, read. Visit an Apple store if there's one near you and put some of what you read to use - try opening and closing things, etc. I did a lot of reading and groundwork before I made the switch and have only hit very minor bumps in the transition. Installing Boot Camp was a cinch and I've been happily using XP strictly for gaming.

Reaction score
Boot Camp allows you to reboot into Windows, if that OS is on the machine. However, running Boot Camp is possible only with an Intel Mac. If the Mac you're getting from your father is one of the first generation, it will have a PowerPC chip, not an Intel chip. If that's the case, you won't be able to run Boot Camp.

OP
Fernicia
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the Mac you're getting from your father is one of the first generation, it will have a PowerPC chip, not an Intel chip. If that's the case, you won't be able to run Boot Camp.
Dang it does have a PowerPC chip. Is there any other way i can play Windows games on my Mac? :eek:
Would it be difficult or expensive to upgrade to an Intel Chip?

Reaction score
Don't think you can. The entire architecture of the machine is built for the PowerPC. The only way you could run Windows on it is through Virtual PC, an emulation program now owned by MS. It's expensive and slug slow.

OP
Fernicia
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:'(
So no window games... The boot camp is still in it's Beta though. Could it support PowerPC on it's final release?

Reaction score
No. It will never support the PowerPC because that chip, as far as the Mac is concerned, is dead technology. App support and other software for it will continue.

OP
Fernicia
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there anyway to upgrade to an Intel Chip?

OP
Fernicia
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay. But i can still get World of Warcraft :D
Is it possible to upgrade the Video Card memory? It's 32mb at the moment but i want it to be 64mb. Is that possible?

Reaction score
No. Your video "card" is actually a chip on the main board and it has to use your system RAM for its memory.

The Mini is not a machine that is easily upgraded. And for what it would cost to upgrade everything, you could probably afford an iMac.

Your Mini will be a great computer but it will not be good for playing games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Black MacBook 160GB HD 2GB RAM
Neo Office better than Open Office?

My first MacBook arrives any day now and I have been reading all about the open source office programs. Do you find it easy enough to work with NeoOffice when you are used to the Microsoft apps? Any input you have is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
64mb is crap anyways. You need atleast 128mb and a seperate gpu for it to really be effective for games or anything.

If you want a mac that's "good for gaming", buy an imac. The mini really isn't a machine you want if you plan on doing anything that takes a lot of system resources.

It's like Mac's versions of a $200 pc. It'll browse the net, run e-mail clients, basic programs and anything that doesn't require a ton of processing power to run or a lot of video power. About the only thing to get better performance out of one is load it up on memory.

I know some one that put vista on their mini...it didn't stay for long.

If you want to game for cheap, buy a pc. If you want to game on a Mac, save your money...and even then you're gimped unless you buy a higher end model...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Okay. But i can still get World of Warcraft :D
Is it possible to upgrade the Video Card memory? It's 32mb at the moment but i want it to be 64mb. Is that possible?

Yes, one of the things I checked was that World of Warcraft is available on Macs. =) I ran it on an old IBM laptop I had with the most lame video card in it, and it ran ok, so I'd think you'd be able to run it.

You can check the Made4Mac site and search for what games are out there:
http://guide.apple.com/uscategories/games_us.lasso

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.