Windows Quickbooks 2013 on iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac27"Retina Display
I have a late 2014 iMac 27 with Retina Display. I am a long time PC user and have moved everything to my new mac except quickbooks. There are just to many difference for me to give up the pc version. What would be the best option for me to run the PC version of quickbooks 2013 on my iMac.

JC

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums!

We've had the same question about Quickbooks from several of our other members. :) What I have previously recommended since it's only one app you wish to run, is to use virtual software. In other words, run a virtual copy of Windows using a VM (virtual machine). Doing it this way does not require a reboot or re-partitioning of the hard drive.

I recommend using the free virtual software from Oracle - VirtualBox. You do, however, need a legal copy of Windows to install to the virtual machine so you can install QB. Other virtual software is expensive = Parallels, and Fusion. (both are around $70 and you still need Windows)

Other methods of running QB would be to use Boot Camp and setup a dual boot. That means partitioning the hard drive and having to reboot every time you wish to boot Windows in order to run QB. Another method would be to use an application called CrossOver which can simulate a Windows environment in order to run QB. However, this method can be expensive since you also have to buy CrossOver in addition to Windows and there is no guaranty that QB will run.

OP
57Nomad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac27"Retina Display
Thanks for the options since I only plan to run quickbooks 2013 and have a copy of windows 7 pro VirtualBox sounds like the best way for me.
Thread: Windows Quickbooks on a iMac

I will probably wait until next weekend when I have a little more time to add VirtualBox and windows 7 I'll let you know how its goes.

Thanks for you help.

Jim C

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.