Windows on an external drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
I've got a 13", mid 2013 macbook air, running 1o.12.6. Processor 1.3 gig Intel core i5, 4 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 memory. 36 Gb of memory left which includes 17.85 of purgeable... what's that mean? and 18.89 Gb free.
I'm thinking that if I wanted to run windows, I'd need to use an external drive due to not having a great deal of space left. Can I get some suggestions about the best way to do this please. I have an imac with plenty of space but I need to use the macbook away from the imac.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi hoody. Thanks for your post.

My understanding is that because of pirated software, Microsoft will not allow Windows to be downloaded on to an external hard drive.

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi hoody. Thanks for your post.

My understanding is that because of pirated software, Microsoft will not allow Windows to be downloaded on to an external hard drive.

Ian
Just my luck. Thanks for the reply.

jks

Reaction score
I run W10 on an external drive through Parallels but I haven’t tried runnning it on anything other than my Mac. I would think t would work if Paralles is load on the MacBook.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can run Windows using virtual software on an external drive. But neither Apple nor Microsoft supports running Windows via Boot Camp on an external drive. There are work arounds but they are usually complex and don't always work.

Reactions: IWT
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies. I didn't get a notification again. I don't know why. I've given up on it anyway. I only wanted to run one programme that's windows only and that's not really important, specially since I saw the price of a disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacOS Sonoma
Windows will run on an external drive as long as it is a ATA or even a SCSI connection, not USB. Not sure about firewire/lightning.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Windows will run on an external drive as long as it is a ATA or even a SCSI connection, not USB. Not sure about firewire/lightning.

No modern computer has a SCSI connector and none of them have an extra ATA port, it's USB or TB only.

Lightening is a propriety connector for iOS devices only.

The original question was answered correctly already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.