Windows laptop to iMac 2011 + iDisplay

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here.

I have a 27" iMac with 27" iDisplay running OS High Sierra. I have installed Parallels running Windows 10. I am working from home now and I have a 13" work Windows laptop. I would like to use either 27" as monitor for laptop. iMac uses Thunderbolt2/mini display port. Windows laptop uses HDMI out.

So far, I have tried (to no avail):
- HDMI to mini displayport adaptor cable with target display mode (apparently you cannot convert HDMI signal to mini displayport. is this true?;
- windows "Project to this PC" - does not work with Parallels.

Does anyone know of anything that may work? Software, KVM Switch/docking station any other solution?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
To use the iMac in Target Display Mode, you need to be running all Mac. That is, the iMac should be running macOS and so should the computer you are trying to connect to it. This will not work with a Windows laptop.

You should get a separate monitor for use with your Windows laptop, depending on size, resolution and your use case, you can get a decent monitor for not too much money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.