Windows keep disappearing

Reaction score
Whenever I open a window, such as "Documents" in full screen and then click on and open a folder in that window, the window behind it disappears. It doesn't do it in condensed screen mode. But I discovered the disappeared windows are still open in Finders "window" tab. There was a list of dozens of them which were still open in the background and slowing down the system. I then have to manually open and close each window. Major headache. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

It's not a problem to be solved, it's how it works, particularly in full screen mode. Finder is showing you what you asked for in the format you requested, that is, the next folder in full screen. Depending on the choices of display you have set for Finder it will do different things, but once you set Finder in Full Screen, it stays in full screen until you change it. Now, if you don't use Full Screen, you can see what is going on as you go. If you are in ICON mode in finder, and then click on an ICON for a folder, it opens that folder in ICON mode (unless you have set that folder for some other format). Ditto for List view. The "Back" and "forward" arrows at the top in both ICON and LIST view will take you to the previous or next document in the sequence.

Let me suggest you NOT use Finder in Full Screen so that you can see what is happening. There really isn't any reason to have Finder in Full Screen.

And Finder windows don't slow down the system, so if you are seeing that, something else is wrong. Or are you conflating Finder windows and application windows?

OP
D
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

It's not a problem to be solved, it's how it works, particularly in full screen mode. Finder is showing you what you asked for in the format you requested, that is, the next folder in full screen. Depending on the choices of display you have set for Finder it will do different things, but once you set Finder in Full Screen, it stays in full screen until you change it. Now, if you don't use Full Screen, you can see what is going on as you go. If you are in ICON mode in finder, and then click on an ICON for a folder, it opens that folder in ICON mode (unless you have set that folder for some other format). Ditto for List view. The "Back" and "forward" arrows at the top in both ICON and LIST view will take you to the previous or next document in the sequence.

Let me suggest you NOT use Finder in Full Screen so that you can see what is happening. There really isn't any reason to have Finder in Full Screen.

And Finder windows don't slow down the system, so if you are seeing that, something else is wrong. Or are you conflating Finder windows and application windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So, problem solved?

To add a little to the above, you don't have to open all of those "hidden" windows just to close them. Forget about 'em.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.