Windows defaulting to second monitor when log in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
When I log out and log back into my Mac, all my windows have moved to my secondary monitor and I have to drag them all back to my main monitor again. I have my Dock set to my main monitor so not sure why this is happing. Can anyone help?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There is a subtle way of telling macOS which is the main monitor. Open up System Preferences and choose Displays. Go to the Arrangement tab and you will see your two monitors. Click on the monitor to have it blink red indicating which was clicked. Now ensure that whichever monitor you want to have as your main monitor has the small white bar on top. If that isn't the case, then drag it from the other monitor to the right one and now you've properly denoted the main monitor.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Thats exactly how i have it setup already. The white bar is on top of my main monitor. But all windows are still collecting in my 2nd monitor. Do you have any ideas? Secondly, ultimately I just want all windows/Logic plugins to stay where I placed them before my screen went to sleep and I am logged out. Is this possible?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Right click on running apps in the Dock and choose Options->Assign To an ensure that they are all set to None. Next, do you use Mission Control? If so, you should uncheck the option Automatically rearrange Spaces based on most recent use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.