Windows 8

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but I figured I'd find people with Windows/Mac experience here so here goes; I need a bit of help, I'm trying to install windows 8 on a netbook.
I downloaded the iso image on my MacBook Air, but I can't figure out how to restore the image to my flash drive using Mac software (the netbook doesn't have any OS on it.
Any suggestions?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is your Windows 8 Image an .ISO? The Dev Preview? If so I it's complicated but I think I can talk you through making an bootable flash drive with Windows 8. I myself made a DVD, but for the netbook the Flash drive would be the way to go.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yeah its the dev preview ISO.
Have no optical drive, so I need to use a USB drive.
I've looked around and I found this tutorial for installing Windows 7, figured it would be pretty much the same, but it didn't work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you follow the instructions on that tutorial exactly? What happened when you tried to boot from the USB Stick with Windows 8 on it? That is exactly what I was going to tell you and has worked here with W7, Linux, even Haiku!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Saw that and edited my post. Read it again. That should work.
I am going to find my Windows 8 DP image and a flash drive and try it here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, found everything. I own a netbook also. Going to try it and will report back. What netbook you have? Here Acer Aspire One.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What brand/model is your netbook? Mine is Stupid Acer Aspire One. Making the Flash Drive. Almost done. Will try it on the netbook in a few.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I know what you might have done wrong. I did the same here. with the flash drive in the Mac, open Disk utility and click on the main drive and on the partition tab. Select 1-partition but under options be sure it's set to MBR and not GUID or Apple Partition Map! I set the format to fat and hit apply. When it is done then unmount the Flash drive like was said in that tutorial and continue with the rest. If the Flash Drive is NOT partitioned MBR it will not boot on a windows machine.

Let me know if that works. Trying it here.

OP
L
Reaction score
That sounds like it could be the problem.
Given up for tonight, I'll try in the morning and let you know how I went.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a problem. I should be in bed also but waiting for this to get done and will try it then sleep.

Will let you know if this works also. Take care.

Also which Flash drive you using? Is it a U3? If so the U3 partition is first and the Windows partition will not boot.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
My netbook wouldn't recognise the USB drive as a bootable device
Assuming the image was restored properly to the USB drive, you may need to change a BIOS setting. Take a read through this thread.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Assuming the image was restored properly to the USB drive, you may need to change a BIOS setting. Take a read through this thread.

Just for the record Van, I tried 10 different times and every way known to man and it would not boot. Found out after the image was written to the Flash Drive, that the drive is corrupt and can't be read on a Windows machine. I have done this with other versions of Windows, Linux, Haiku, Lion, you name it and it works every time. Might be something with Windows 8 DP installer. Had to go to sleep and going to investigate farther today.

OP
L
Reaction score
Flash drive is a SanDisk Cruzer Edge 8GB, so no, not U3.
Tried formatting flash drive again to FAT32, making sure I set it to MBR, went through the whole process again. No joy.
When I tried opening the ISO image with "The Unarchiver" I get a little README.TXT with the following message "This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification."
Maybe this has something to do with it?
@vansmith, skimmed through that forum post, nothing to do with filesystems in BIOS for the Dell netbook, should I try formatting my flash drive to FAT16?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same exact Flash Drive on my end! When I put the Flash drive in my Windows 7 notebook, it says the File system is corrupt. Tried every way. There is a way to make it in Windows. Does your netbook have Windows on it? If so I could pass on the url I found.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.