Windows 7/Parallels/Readyboost?

Reaction score
Windows 7 actually makes good use of their Readyboost feature and on my Macbook I can tell the difference when I am running it with Win7 native. I'm curious if anyone has tried Readyboost while running Parallels/VM? I'm guessing the answer is likely no, but I'm curious about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
Well, think of it this way. Virtualization in the context we are discussing, is a hardware emulation. So Windows will "see" hardware as the Virtualization software sets it up. So, in theory, readyboost will cache Windows to run optimally on the "machine" it's running on by writing to the USB device for a disk cache.

Before inserting the USB device (thumb drive) start your VM, and once you are in then I would go ahead and add the thumb drive, or external hard drive. In the VM menu, make sure the Windows "environment" can see the USB port before you add the USB device.

All you are doing is letting the Virtual Machine know the USB device is available to Windows and Windows will not know any different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.