Windows 7 Enterprise Bootcamp?

Reaction score
I know that the update to Bootcamp has removed compatibility with Windows XP and Windows Vista. I see a number of different versions of Windows 7 listed but do not see Windows 7 enterprise. Has anyone succesfully installed Windows 7 Enterprise with Bootcamp 4.0 on Lion? Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I have not, but to be quite honest, I'm certain that it will work. If you already have Windows 7 Enterprise and a valid license, why not give it a shot? You will not lose anything.

OP
H
Reaction score
The only reason I'm wary is that I currently have XP installed in bootcamp. I'd like to have a larger windows partition, but I'm worried that if I delete the XP installation and Enterprise doesn't work, I won't be able to reinstall XP since it is no longer supported in Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not sure why you think Boot Camp will no longer support Windows XP. All Boot Camp Assistant does is create a NTFS partition for you that you can use to install other versions of operating systems. I've never had a single issue installing Windows XP, Vista, or 7. Heck, I even installed Linux on my older MacBook Pro, so it's quite fine.

By the way, you can create a third partition using Disk Utility. If you don't know how to do that, PM me and I'll give you detailed instructions, but it's quite easy. Disk Utility > (click on your Hard Drive, not Macintosh HD partition) > Partition > click the + sign > click on the newly added partition > rename it > Windows NT Filesystem.

You can do it while running your Mac, or you can insert your Mac OS X Install Disc, boot form it, and run Disk Utility from there (much safer and quicker).

That is just a suggestion. You can create like a small 10 - 15GB partition just to "test it out" if you know what I mean.

OP
H
Reaction score
The reason I think that is the following from the Apple website's FAQ on Bootcamp 4.0:

"You can use Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, or Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate with Boot Camp 4.0. Windows XP and Windows Vista are not supported with Boot Camp 4.0. " My understanding is that the drivers for these systems is not included.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the model of your Mac? Would you happen to have a Leopard or Snow Leopard installation disc? If so, there are Boot Camp drivers on it (3.0 or 3.1 if Snow Leopard) that you can use with Windows XP or Vista. But I'm assuming that you have a Lion disc that already comes with Boot Camp 4.0? If so, all you can do is either try it using a third partition as suggested earlier, or try manually getting drivers (graphics, sounds, etc.).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The reason I think that is the following from the Apple website's FAQ on Bootcamp 4.0:

"You can use Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, or Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate with Boot Camp 4.0. Windows XP and Windows Vista are not supported with Boot Camp 4.0. " My understanding is that the drivers for these systems is not included.

Tarek is correct. That warning above is for owners of the newer model Macs that have Boot Camp 4.0 preinstalled and with newer hardware. Like my Mid 2011 iMac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
10-4

You would simply use your Snow Leopard disc after you've booted into XP to install the drivers - not the package that Lion downloads which are for the new machines and carry only the Win7 driver package.

OP
H
Reaction score
I do have the Snow Leopard installation discs. So if I'm understanding correct, I can make the partition with bootcamp assistant as normal and then use the snow leopard disc to install the drivers in XP? I really appreciate all the replies and help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. That's exactly right.

OP
H
Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone...with the information you guys gave me, I went ahead and felt comfortable erasing the Windows XP partition. I was able to install Windows 7 Enterprise with no problems whatsoever, following the regular bootcamp instructions. So if anyone else is wondering, Windows 7 Enterprise can be installed with Bootcamp 4.0 on Lion. Thanks to everyone for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.